So god awful? Then why not toddle off somewhere better, if you're really above all this

Elizabeth I do the same but have a little pile of French, German, sometimes Dutch papers and the Guardian Weekly and Economist which I hide if any of 'them' appear. They only see 'foreign' so leave me alone. But last hot spell one rather posh English twat who had barked at his wife for half an hour deafening everybody gesticulated at me with a cigarette between his fingers and then I just had to say had he not seen no smoking signs, it is against the law to smoke where food is served and after many years of Cambridge I can convincingly do a public school type English too! He blathered a bit then sat down a little shell shocked as I picked up something like der Spiegel and began to read (hiding my grin behind the pages). There is, as Zoe's point is, always one.

Aww, I was sorta hoping that the actual people would come along and say "it was us, my husband has haemorroids at the moment and is cranky from th discomfort, please don't judge"

Personalised number plate usually on chelsea tractor!

Often enjoy sitting in cafe reading local paper and I find people often assume I am french therefore obviously won;t understand what they saying and they then make rude and condescending remarks in very loud voices.

So very right all of you, but Andrew, the personalised number plate remark represents my thoughts exactly. Well said.

Tee-hee, I like to use my German to really get their goat. They have their ten words of French but do not expect somebody to then switch from French to German when they are trying to wheedle out of me if I know some English. I am sometimes a bas tard... But perversely enough I think some of them truly deserve it.

Brian, I like pretending I speak no English, in particular when i go to Paris, and people need to ask for directions, but forget the "excuse me", the "sorry", or the "do you speak English"

enter stage right, American in Disney poncho "HEY, say, do you know how to get to the museum, you know the loo-arve, or whatever"

I do come upon them before anyone else, because, on hearing them speak English together, I do speak English to them, (to try make life easier for all concerned), and am often met with the "ouhhhh, are you Irish", accompanied with a grimace that tells me that they're thinking "nice country, we used to OWN it once". i generally steer clear of anyone who speaks to me like this at work ,and will then hear the others telling me how they are "speciale", or just downright rude. Also, on another note, if your steak really is not good, please send it back, don't eat it, and at the end say is was undercooked, or too fatty (BTW, Entrecote is FATTY, don't order fatty cuts if you're not into fat)
In my book, and in my place of work, once you've eaten something, wit WILL pay for it.

glad 99% of them are fine, no idea why people need to be so bl00dy arrogant either, it's something to do with that personal numberplate, I'm better than everyone mindset that I happily left in the UK years ago, and yes why don't they just stay there...!

Yes Zoe, I'm with you too. Whenever I have one of those I suddenly speak no English and people who know me know not to let on I can. If I must then I will tell them to 'p*ss off' on behalf of all others present. I dislike the ones who order food, then do a full critique in English quite loud assuming nobody else understands, then call the waiter who they then expect to know English if they don't know how to say something. They will smarm their way out with all the compliments and praises they can throw in, leaving no tip of course, after having slagged off everything and said umpteen times 'if this had been in England...' with probably at least one of the staff more or less getting gist of what they had to say. Yes Valerie, Victor Meldrew comparisons are too mild, or Alf Garnet ones too. If people do not restrain themselves as Zoe did then it really sours the experience for everybody else.

thing is, Andrew, yes these were an extreme case, but I see people like this EVERY DAY in the hotel. 99 percent of our guests are happy, and the 1 percent is expat British people. Why. Where is the need to be so bloody arrogant coming from.

The idea that if they speak English, nobody will understand them, and the notion that openly bitching about EVERYTHING is the done thing. If you are that hell bent on having a miserable time, surely it's better to stay at home, and look out the window.

I cringed reading this Zoe, I think we've all come across at least one expat like that somewhere. As you say, if they don't like it, p1ss off and leave it for the rest of us who do. A lillte rude, perhaps, but I've spent a number of years teaching adults in businesses here there and everywhere having to"appologise" for such behaviour and explain that "No, it isn't normal, no we're not all like that". it later becomes a big joke, once they get to know you and realise these people aren't representative, but we could all do without it/them!

Better off in London on the conveyor belt, stockbroker patch...

SORRY bankers!!!!

I almost feel sorry for the poor old grouch - sounds like his view on life is x100 worse than good old Victor Meldrew. I should imagine the wife has desensitized herself to it otherwise she might have excused herself to go wash her hands and then legged it out the nearest door.

i used to speak out, and nine times out of ten, cause a scene, but these people are not worth it, and are far too self righteous to take a look in the mirror on my account.

i still will, at times, if someone makes a "the French" comment in my presence, but these people were like car crash TV, and I was afraid if I gave the game away, he'd stop ranting, and the show would be over.

Zoe, I am amazed at the restraint you showed. :-)

You really do think to yourself "So why are you here if it's so bad"

people like that embarass me a little. i mean, no wonder some French people have a certain view of "foreigners"

Super read Zoe, I agree with all your sentiments. How cringeworthy of them. Ignorant pigs, who do they think they are?