So you're still wondering if you really need a mutuelle

Thanks Finn, it's a classic, made me laugh and make my ribs hurt again - Terry beat you to it with this one yesterday!

Like Andrew, I am an internationalist and if a European identity is all I can acheive so be it. Whether that is the same as the Euro is for me nothing to do with that.

absolutely nothing to do with bikes and no that isn't the type of europe I want and was a very bad example from me! no, I meant more a federation as in the German example, or a united stated of europe but i'm aware that that isn't everyone's cup of tea! it wa more a rebuf at the eternal "why isn't everything like in the UK, why don't the rest of them change everything and do the same as the UK" argument ;-)

and well done Ian for keeping the bike theme, again see above for the reason of my badly chosen example ;-)

It is actually, because the wheels are coming off the Euro. Sorry. :)

Harmonisation - let's go for it with a full on federal europe, I'm all for that so that we can get every member state on the same footing and create a completely level playing field. I'd go for a european passport rather than a british one too but I think more want out of the EU in the UK than fuller intergration, pity really!

As for the eurozone, no you're right, but the UK always seems to think everyone else is doing it "wrong" and bangs on as if it still has an empire etc. We do have exactly what we're meant to re health cover. the EU will always be a diffult one whilst everyone wants something different from it/has a different view of what it should be ;-)

I'm not conscious Britain has threatened to quit the EU, at least not since MT - some current Tory MPs want it yes, but.... - the Euro zone has nothing to with the rights of individual citizens of the EU, which is what we are, whether we live in the UK or in France, and I can't help feeling we should be prepared to argue for the best for all citizens. As far back as the referendum of '75 many European politicans spoke of a word which seems to have disappeared from the language - harmonisation - I for one see nothing wrong is calling for harmonisation in health care for all citizens!

Thanks Celeste, yes we all had a real fright but I'm on the road to recovery now thanks ;-)

yep, always has been and always will be I think - one foot in the EU and one in the USA!

Yes indeed, a very helpful page. Thanks Terry for all the work you put in creating that page - it has really helped me.

Just a reminder that you can find all or most of these links and many more on the Useful Links page including a very detailed introduction to CMU. http://www.survivefrance.com/page/useful-links

Thanks Andrew. This was a battle I undertook on behalf of all UK retirees living in France and hope that because it has gone to such a high level, all Departments of International Relations of the CPAM will be told exactly what the EU regulations are and also that we can make UK retirees aware of their rights if they have to obtain a form S2 for treatment in the UK which they cannot obtain here in France.

My French friends tell me that they have written to both their MP,s and MEP,s and have heard nothing. T hey are utterly astounded that my case has been taken up and questions asked of one of the Comissioners.

T he level of service which electors receive from their ele ted representatives differs markedly from country to country, as I have found out.

fingers crossed for you Jane ;-)

But why should all the other countries change and follow the 'odd one out' that keeps threatening to leave the EU and won't join the euro zone either...!

t here is a mutual agreement. Between both countries. h owever, I an in the process. Of following up a denial of treatment by the Cpam for treatment I the UK which I could not find in F rance because I am a U K pensioner
Irving in F rance . T his is now with our E mbassy in Paris. I am not expecting any news until the rentree!
P lease excuse the typing, just getting used to my I pad.

Andrew I accept that, but in this 'single market' maybe its time to start lobbying MEPs to get the rest of Europe to follow the 'odd one out' and have health provision universal across the Union.

Thanks Roger, we've been here before - the EU agreement gives you entitlement to the same cover as the nationals of that country, not the same cover you had in your original country - we have the same as the French here in France, the Italians in Italy if we go there etc. It's a little different in each EU country, as ever it's the UK which is more the odd one out than France!

A Mutelle is essential here in France. Being able to see the costs involved makes one appreciate just how much it all does cost! I've just had my July CPAM Statement - I had a throat biopsy in June - cost 2334 € plus 350€ for the scan in advance. However, I do have a gripe - why is it that GB ex-pats have to pay something, i.e. monthly Mutuelle, where's the eqalisation between countries in that? Do French ex-pats living in Britain past retirement age have to pay anything at all in the UK? Get better soon, and cycling again, Andrew.

following on from the links that Finn gave here is another www.ameli.fr ruberique" assurés" "soins et remboursements" "CMU et complimentaires santé"

On Tracy's point, we have 150%, the system is a bit similar to the Swiss system so my wife insisted on that because she remembered the benefits there. It does not cost us half again of a 100% cover though, it simply covers for the 150%. As you insure more 'discounts' come in. I am adding alternative medicine when we renew this autumn, makes only a tiny difference to the monthly bill.