Soft fruity young red

Rose is in in the UK but a lot of places don’t have a good choice

1 Like

We have our Beaujolais and Cremant de Bourgogne delivered to the house.
We buy from Stephen Duchamp in Lucenay.
He also makes lovely fruit juices.
We are not really fans of Beaujolais Nouveau, but we always get given a bottle.

One of my biggest wine disappointments was treating my self to a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau

1 Like

It is a bit of a gamble each year…:thinking:

2 Likes

Mary, I’m sneaky now… I will accept a “taster” and only buy some BN if I like it. Each year is so different and, of course, it does not keep… :upside_down_face:

True; the general rule is to drink it by Christmas/New Year.

1 Like

…or cook with it! :woman_cook:t3:
:wink:

I’ve never felt it has enough flavour to cook with it… but rather than tip it down the sink… absolutely - add it to anything…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

Leave it much longer and it makes an effective drain cleaner :wink:

1 Like

Snap - I am an Ozzy Shiraz lover or a South African Pinotage and when I moved to France I really struggled drinking French red until I found Corbieres and that is now all I will drink. The wine is generally full bodied and smooth and is not expensive. If you can find one that has been aged in oak at your price range then you are usually onto a winner. I know nothing about wine but I know what I like and there is one particular area around Lezignan Corbieres that seems to hit the spot with me. Buzet, a little further up in the Marmande region is quite nice too but not as good as Corbieres, for me anyway.

Christopher, Les Ormes de Cambras Merlot is excellent too, a favourite in our household.

1 Like

So, Jilly, given that you’re unlikely to find any wine made from pinotage in France (shame: I love it, too), the grapes you should probably be looking out for (once you’ve tried the other suggestions above) are Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre, Cinsault, Carignan … and Cabernet Franc, of course, since that’s what goes into Saumur Champigny :wink:

And, as others have suggested, try and taste before you buy. Co-operatives are often good, but you may also have other producers near you. Buying at a supermarket is, for me anyway, a complete lottery!