Solar panel electricity options

I meant, I will have a look at the pump itself - the power rating should be on the casing.

@Corona The pump motor is rated at 0.8kW. All the ‘plumbing’ is at one end of the pool.

All at one end suggests a monobloc idea, which if it is true is the least effective most energy consuming way of doing things. Desjoyeux, Magiline etc although there are several installers using off the shelf monoblock units. 800 watts will be wothout load, the load will increase the power consumption a bit more.

French friends of ours have the same pool and have had it for 8 years and they love it and it has worked well for them. I’m an expert on digital cameras - I could tell you a few stories about those - but in the end I went on the reputation of a product through a trusted owner. I’m sure I could have done a lot worse. It’s due to have the liner fitted and filled in two weeks - no looking back now.

Couldn’t you come to some sort of arrangement with the farmer to use a relatively small area of his land???

Not sure what you mean?

Sorry that was a response to @RicePudding :grinning:

I didn’t say it wouldnt work, just the least effective most energy consuming way to do it. You started by saying about solar and you use a lot of electricity, if you went with solar it would use 2-3 panels just to power the filtration.
I actually have a lot to thank Desy and Magiline for as they really were the spark behind my low energy designs.

Unfortunately just changed owners and the new guy is trying to get the most out of the land for his prime beef cattle.

I didn’t say that you said it wouldn’t work. I simply emphasised that that all things being equal, the pool will be perfectly functional and I provided some reasoning behind the choice of pool design.

We clearly can’t go off grid, but I am keen to contribute to the effort on decarbonising, which is why I’ve driven an EV for the last 4 years, for example. But the sheer cost of installing solar and batteries is a big hurdle. But at least I can be content that our carbon footprint is significantly lower than it was.

We’d very bad floods here a few years back and the Maire subsequently panicked and demanded that all building work include a réservoir de rétention. Now we have a dry spell, and this too will pass and we’ll be splashing around in our pools again :slightly_smiling_face:

Luckily there isn’t any panic this time, just caution and conservation of water. Filling pools is banned, but topping them up is not, for the moment at least.

Just put about 2500 litres into our well to lower levels. Next time will put in a resevoir tank to save for top ups. It should be law that a cover is required on pools when not in use, it would save the need to top up in most cases.

2 Likes

EDF should be able to steer you in the right direction for solar panels, they were very helpful with us. As regards water, if you can, get a water diviner and drill down to install your own forage. Then you can charge your car, fill your pool and heat it for almost nothing. Initial outlay for water and electricity will be recouped in years, and remember the costs for both will only go up in the future !

1 Like

Sorry Griffin completely missed your post. Yes should be fine as tub volumes are small. Only trouble is those things leak after a while. If the boost pump is on the same run as the filtration it will likely up the system pressure so leaks might be sooner. I separate the filtration from the boost so filtration is maintained at the correct flow whilst the boost is free to work independently.

Easier to build your own system with pipework with limited joints and use a thermosiphon - that’s what I’m planning to do :+1:

1 Like

I am planning to use evacuated tubes panels for hot water via a plate heat exchanger so could be used for pool/ underfloor. I say planning but could well be a heat pump in their as well, keep changing my mind and with the pool to remodel its on the list.

1 Like

I’d be very interested to know your setup when you finalize it :+1: there are so many creative ways out there to save energy, it’s quite inspiring to move away from what has been the assumed practices for years​:+1::+1:

2 Likes