Speaking French

Group image: I wonder if this is copyrighted…Google images, do a search under “gallic shrug” - page 1, the little girl in hat and coat front of the Valentine’s Day greeting cards…qu’en pensez-vous ? Alternatively, if someone could take their own photo with a similar pose (“bof” expression, big shrug, arms/hands just so)…

I’ll have a look :wink:

Thanks James, I have asked someone on Flickr if we could use one of theirs but haven’t had a reply yet. I was thinking of someone looking puzzled or cross-eyed or perhaps a lady dressed in that elegant French way…found one of those too but she was smokin’ a fag, so we didn’t think we could use it! It would be lovely James if you could find something…

Hi Wendy,

Maybe I can supply a photo for the group if you give me an idea of what you think it should be?

Thanks

j

Welcome to all our new members: Valerie, Nikki, Laurent, Cate, Muriel, Sheila, Debbie, Aaron and Michael…hope I didn’t miss anyone out!

Welcome to “Je ne sais quoi” Stu and Magali!

Have a very Happy Christmas everyone! A bientôt, Wendy x

happy to join this group , if i can help you with french expression , no problem for me (plus à l’aise dans la langue de molière , que celle de shakespear!!!)

Thank you Hector, I have heard something else but will stick to je regarde merci.

Hi, how do I say when in a shop ‘just looking thanks’ is there a phrase for this??

A big welcome and a bienvenue to all our new members! It’s lovely that this is proving so popular. Please post your questions as “discussions” rather than “comments”, then the answer will be linked to the question and keep 'em coming!

Yes! Great idea for a topic/group only I cant think oif anything right now, but no doubt I will be back on here as the situation arises!!

yes it does. I think then my french friends are using it as sante!

Thanks very much for your help there.

Have you got any French text abbreviations you could teach us?

Like mdr etc. Do you think French translates as easily to text speak as

English. eg. i c u r based in Cevennes.

many thanks.

Réponse de "Je ne sais quoi:

"Hips'' is the cartoon bubble for someone who has had too much to drink...so it could be used for santé in some circles.

on voudrait: on is used instead of nous. (not as proper as "nous" however)

l'on voudrait: more generalised statement , you are removing yourself from the "on "here.

Does this help?

Also 'l" is used for phonetics/ pronunciation reasons here.

tant pis: too bad, with a sense of accepting the situation or a connotation of "tough beans".

C'est dommage: would add the connotation of regret to the "too bad"idea.

Does this help?

Je ne sais quoi...

What to use: "tu "ou "vous"?

Always difficult for English speakers because the concept doesn't exist in English . Generally, it depends on how close you are to the person, your ages and your respective status, The rule of thumb : when in doubt listen to how the other person refers to you and do the same. If you've known someone for a while or feel pretty close you can say : " On peut se tutoyer? On peux se dire "tu"? " The boundaries of the "tutoiement" have changed a bit in the last 20 years and it is becoming more common to use Tu, but Vous must be used in the examples described below in part 2 .

Perhaps you have an interesting story to tell about improperly using "tu"?

I have one.

Here are the general rules:

1. tu : is "you"singular. Use it:

* when talking to one of your children, one of your parents, one of your relatives etc

* talking to your pet (unless you want to be rather pompous, formal or funny; it is not uncommon for some people to address their pet as "vous")

* young people usually use "tu "informally to other people in the same age group

* "tu "is often used with colleagues in the work place

* tu is often used by in-laws but NOT ALWAYS. Pay attention to "family rules" which may be different between families!

2 . Vous: plural of tu and formal of you singular. Use it:

* to talk to your teacher if you are a student, to an employee in a store etc

* to your boss

* generally to a superior , someone you don't know, or don't know well enough

* to your parents, your children (plural), your friends (plural)

* Note: some children still use "vous" when speaking to one of their parents. It's very rare anymore, a vestige from aristocraty...

Very young children use "tu"with anyone including their kindergarten teacher or even first grade teacher.

3 Try this: Tu ou vous?

speaking to : your uncle/ your brother-in-law / your friend Robert/ your maçon/ the bus driver/ the little boy next door/ your neighbours/ the mailman/ the baker/ the mayor/ the café owner/ the waiter/ your son's friend/ your partner at pétanque/ your cousins/ your nephew/ your instructor/ the fireman who rang the doorbell to sell you a calendar for 2011...

I've just called for reinforcements chaps!

anyone know when we should use 'l'on'

eg is the rule that after a vowel e,g,

si on voudrais parler = si l'on voudrais parler???

2) does has anyone heard of 'hips' or 'hip' instead of sante/salut for cheers -

is it meant to be a form of hip hip hooray or something completely

different?

By the way Josette is back in the States at the moment, although she will be returning to her beloved Cevennes shortly. So due to the time difference, there may be a bit of a delay before she answers...still we can talk amongst ourselves can't we!

not sure if i'll be much good ere cant even speak english proper lol