Speaking of swearing

We got the cane or the gym shoe at prep school, no corporal punishment at school, they preferred triple games/drying cutlery in the kitchen/emotional blackmail or doing something tedious for our head- or housemistress on a Sunday afternoon.

Back on topic about language, I find bad language generally distasteful unless used with skillful precision to usefully highlight a point, and even then it’s often detractive rather than additive.

3 Likes

That’s why it’s very often a science-based team that wins University Challenge> :grin:

1 Like

English is a very rich language so there’s no need to use bad language in most situations imo. Loads of modern tv progs have loadsa bad language which is a pity. I switch over if such a programme comes on.

3 Likes

I really do agree. I started to watch Pulp Fiction the other day because it was famous and I had never seen it. Switched it off after about 20 minutes, couldn’t see the point.

1 Like

That’s what Dad taught us…
Nowadays, so many folk seem to have difficulty putting together a coherent sentence without the use of “bad words” (almost each time they take a breath) … hmm… seems to me that their education is sadly lacking.

Often in the case of foreign colleagues I worked with in UK, it was because they’d learnt English from a poorly educated source in their homeland…
I did my best to improve their English, while the SwearBox swelled nicely… :rofl: :rofl:
(funds for the benefit of the local Hospice…)

1 Like

Yup, I hear ‘punaise’ a lot round here (28)

Our area is over-run with punaise… driving everyone mad.

I have one in the study. I’ve just left him be, but my cat is going crazy :slight_smile:

ONE!!! Yesterday I took the lounger cushions out of the pool house to store them in the cottage for the winter - there were HUNDREDS of the wretched things.

Влади́мир Влади́мирович Пу́тин is Vladimir Vladimirovitch Poutine, it is just transcription from Cyrillic.
We don’t coyly respell anything though, we write it phonetically.

We have plenty of gros mots and my daughter has just realised she perhaps uses one or two to excess since my granddaughter aged 2 announced j’ai bien mangé, Pétain! Which as we aren’t fans of the Maréchal doesn’t mean him at all.

Edited to add merde putain con bordel are no big deal, possibly be more circumspect with enculé. Obviously as in English certain words are more shocking to some people. I say bollocks a lot and don’t really consider it shocking but some people do.

5 Likes