Speed limits - all change again

Exactly that. They don’t give a damn, the stuff on my lorry is going into warehouse to be used at a later date, they don’t need it right now and they gain an extra 3 days of not having to shift it around. Who cares what it costs the haulier or driver?

@Corona Rigs? Are you American? Only joking, but it might betray knowledge that comes from films rather than real European life. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But to the point. Maybe one has an earlier booking time, maybe the faster one has to keep resetting his cruise control because it cannot be made to follow the speed of the other precisely, who may be slowing down because of weight, hills etc. Any number of variables and if you want to get where you are going in relative comfort, why not overtake a slower vehicle?

1 Like

why not… indeed… no problem with that… but I do have a problem with those who stick too close to the rear of a vehicle… (especially my vehicle).

I noticed something on the back of a large vehicle… ages ago… something along the lines of “if you can read this you are too close”… another time it was “if you can’t see my wing mirrors, I can’t see you”

I’m wondering about something in my rear screen saying “if you can read this, you are too close. You are being filmed and will be reported to the authorities…” :rofl:

Incidentally, both my BiLaw and Nephew had a transport business and both used the word “rig”… so I reckon it’s quite acceptable… Nephew still has his “rig”… his pride and joy.

Wagons? arctic, tractor trailer, Detest America!

Wagons is English usage, arctic is the North Pole, Tractor trailer is definitely American, Detest America? Many do apparently. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I am sure you meant artic, short for articulated vehicle, only in Britain. In France it is semi-remorque, or semi, the same as in most of the rest of the world (semi-trailer). That is a trailer that cannot be moved without a tractor unit (more often just ‘unit’ in Britain) supporting the front end, and just for good measure a trailer is towed by a towbar connecting it to the towing vehicle. In the old days they used to have a wheel in each corner but nowadays the fashion is for centre axles, like a caravan. Caravan is the term rather sneeringly used by old school wagon and drag (driver slang) drivers because they do not require the same level of skill as traditionelles (French) in reversing. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So do I, but I would point out that, because of the height, the appearance of just the grill of a following vehicle, and normally no bonnet out in front, they do seem somewhat closer than they actually are. But to get back to the original question, that is a deplorable by-product of the confusion of speed limits in France these days.

Perhaps you’re more familiar with a pantechnicon?

sadly… there has always been confusion over speed limits… whatever they might be set at…

Some drivers seem to consider it as the starting-point and object to any drivers who do not seem to be in agreement… :rofl:

Many drivers do not seem to know about the 50kh limit which applies automatically (unless specifically overridden) on entering the Villages and Towns across France…

It’s just a rule of the road… 50kh… no speed sign necessary.

and here the 50kh is altered…

1 Like

What’s a building in Rome got to do with it?

1 Like

More information on speed cameras here https://www.radars-auto.com/

There are many apps that show speed cameras which are illegal to use (or even have) and there are no reports of anyone in France being caught using one. The police and gendarmerie have no right to access a mobile phone without a court order and are adept at catching those that exceed the limit without needing to bother about camera apps and all that would ensue…

Interesting story behind that word

3 Likes