Starting from Scratch

very nice. I love looking at "wild" queens, they often have interesting colour, or temperament.

At present they're living in a plastic filing box and appear very contented. In 48 hours they have done a lot of construction work already. Interesting experiment. The queen is a lovely example - first time my OH has seen me plunge a hand in and pull one out for a look. Think I've made a convert so can increase my hives and have two of us working on them... Now that is a success!

Icko's catalogue is revolting desgn and user unfriendly system but what they have and their prices are all I care about really.

I know what you mean, Brian, i often gather swarms as experimental hives, where we try different formats of foundation, different methods. We have to get specially bred queens for royal jelly production, so, those hives stay "precious".

Saw an amazing swarm about 3 weeks ago, in flight, and it settled in the roof of a neighbouring building. too bad the owners of said building are not the easiest to approach... the colony was pretty big. Perhaps when they hear buzzing inside the walls, and see honey oozing out of the ceiling, they might call me.

I find Icko handy, yes, even if this years catalogue looked all pink and glittery on the cover, lol.

did your swarm settle in nicely?

ICOWICZ have a good catalogue: http://www.ickowicz-apiculture.com/catalogue.php

Totally comprehensive with few exceptions of things I was used to in the UK so I order them from Thorne's: www.thorne.co.uk

Just about all suppliers have paper catalogues as well as online. You will find that Nicoplast and Icowicz have more on line than paper and some of the others vice versa.

As regards swarms, fantastic year. Fortunately we know the local beekeeper who will be seriously interested because her husband is the electrician we always use. She was depleted by the worst weather and is out toute suite on a call - for me anyway. Personally, I am looking for those hives people who have tried often seem to have festering in a barn somewhere rather than buy new - not bein mean, just wishing to recycle sensibly.

this year is good for swarms, round here, sofar. have you seen many? Do you get good honey, I suppose in your area, it's a little like here (haute savoie), mountainy flowers

We have three at the moment, we had one which we lost in the first winter, we got another two nucs last spring which are doing great, and we have just put a swarm in our spare hive.

Thanks, Andy...how many hives do you have at the moment?

We bought some last year from a supplier in Tarbes. He has a large business selling everything in the bee equipment line. His website is http://www.materiel-apiculture.fr/

when I was down in the Var last week, I noticed a hige api-outlet in Brignoles.

my swarm guy has no more swarms left.or nucs. rage.

I'll ask my nuc man if he'd be ok with me plastering his number here first, and ask OH about the queen man. We have to get special queens for jelly, but I think he breeds different types.

if we can, why don't we compile a nuc/queens list specifically. I'll check with my man and also nicole in the next village over the next couple of weeks but if others in this group can do the same then we could have the basis of a national list to build on, especially for beginners.

Anyone knowing anyone who sells nucs in your area, also feel free to post details here, as it's better if the bees don't travel too far by post. I know people here in the 74, and a queen breeder in Jura.

Just found some catalogs

www.abeilledauvergne.com

Another one Lerouge Apiculture, with shops in the Oise 60130, St Just en Chausseee, and another in Charente Maritime, Cravans, 17260 Gemozac.

Another, www.routedor.fr

www.nictoplast.com with a shop 39260 Maisod. They claim to be the No1 manufacturer of apicole stuff, but their catalogue seems to be more aimed at big time keepers.

All these have actual catalogues, it might be worth e-mailing, or phoning to ask for one.I'm not sure how we get them, they just seem to "end up" strewn around our house.