State of stonework under the render

fair enough - we’re just trying to throw some ideas into the mix. :hugs:

1 Like

Well the chai is built on a slope so ground- level on one side was about 1.60 below the other side - we took out the not-stuck-to-the-wall sides only down to floor level and used the smashed up concrete plus sand as infill, I also had an underground tank that needed to be filled. It took a while but as I was also having beams sandblasted, a chimney and fireplace built, a couple of small staircases, windows, doors and a whole new floor put in it didn’t seem like a big deal esp as that room is about 80m2.

1 Like

Well I’ll look forward to that day. The shower IS a good idea, or the wife thought about a “plunge pool”. I hope it doesn’t have an underground tank too. If we find anything good in the “mud/cowshit/crosshair etc”, I’ll be straight over to Antiques Roadshow to have it valued :slight_smile:

Yes but what is the stone made of, flint, granite or limestone?

I have just been to take a picture so you can see how the bookshelves work

They go pretty well around the room, low when there is a window and about 2m high everywhere else.

1 Like

Stone

Wow, That’s really cool.

1 Like

I love reading, both French and English …I couldn’t imagine a life without my books ! :open_book::books:

2 Likes

Darren - :wink::upside_down_face:you are allowed to say you don’t know which stone it is - :thinking::laughing:

You said “red stone finish”. I’m just wondering, if it is the pinky/red stone like some houses in Collonges la Rouge ?

That room is my idea of Heaven.

1 Like

So beautiful. All those wonderful books. I adore books.

3 Likes

This is the fireplace my macon and I concocted

And these are the beams that needed sandblasting
@anon58066726 you can see what the walls look like, stone and whatever, not ashlar.

That looking-glass is just to reflect light, I am not tall enough at 1.65m to see myself in it, the mantel is about level with my forehead.

Looking particularly slumlike as daughter #5 had a party /jamsession/ games evening /sleepover and they camped in there.

3 Likes

You could rent it out for film sets. Beautiful room.

My daughter used to camp out with friends in our sitting room in the UK. Our bedroom was directly above so could be noisy until they all dropped off. In the morning I would get up and make drop scones for them all. I really miss those days. Still I have my 7year old grandson for 4 weeks again this summer.

2 Likes

How thick is the wall? Ie are there two separate faces, or a single wall with two sides to it? If the later than you can get an idea of the quality of the external from examining the interior. If the former then much more of a gamble. Some of our walls were great. Others were filled with all sorts of rubbish - basically they’d used anything metal to add to the wall to solidify it. In one more recent wall we found a bicycle frame…

Removing render, repairing and repointing is not cheap, whereas spraying a mew layer of crepi is affordable. So may put pressure on your 1,000€\sq m unless you are prepared to spend 6 months sitting on a scaff board.

One wall we ended up insulating externally, as worked out most cost effective. Sorted out the wall, gave us the insulation we needed and allowed us to keep the lovely internal stone wall.