State Pension

No, not especially.

Agreed. The privatisation of pensions by the Thatcher government in the 1980s was a tragedy that befell all UK future generations - one aspect of the development of a ludicrously top-heavy, exploitative financial sector that has pulled the UK economy out of shape ever since. (Not to mention being based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of money!)

2 Likes

I have no objection to employee s and employers paying into a pension plan ,what I find objectionable is that employers can take a break from paying and leave the pension fund short of money.

2 Likes

I like the Aussie system where we have compulsory Superannuation, this gets paid into your personal super account (I think at 9% now - employer paid) that you can manage, choose the investment stream etc. Of course you canā€™t touch it until retirement age but you know what you have and can add extra during your working life etc. This is on top of the state pension so the more you put in the more you get out at the end. Not reliant on employer / others in your fund etc.

1 Like

This is the key part. I donā€™t doubt for a single second that the idea behind the workplace pension is not to supplement the UK state pension but to eventually replace it. Push the entire expense on to individuals and employers. I have always worked on the assumption that by the time I, or the generation after me, got to pension age (which will probably be at around age 80 the way the UK government are going :roll_eyes:), there will be no state pension for most as it will be decided itā€™s unaffordable. Some will scoff at that and say ā€˜theyā€™d never do thatā€™, but I donā€™t think itā€™s at all unrealistic.

3 Likes

Iā€™m all for increased pension provision of course and workplace schemes ā€œworkā€ for many in providing for their retirement but they really are not a great way of solving the pension problem.

Admittedly it is nice to see an annual statement showing how your ā€œinvestmentā€ is growing. It is, however, worth thinking about how that growth is achieved.

In a zero sum economy my gain is your (or at any rate someoneā€™s) loss. In practice the economy is not zero sum - it expands by the creation of money by governments so it is, in fact possible for everyone to win. Except they donā€™t. Either you get inflation (as in the 1970ā€™s) and the gain is illusory or you get unequal distribution - tending to favour the already wealthy which is what seems to be happening at the moment.

The practical result is that in real economies pension funds can fail - weā€™ve seen some very high profile examples such as the Royal Mail and BHS. They can also be plundered by chancellors looking for a quick fix (hello Mr Brown).

They also donā€™t solve the problem of affordability - the economy has to perform well enough to pay peopleā€™s pensions whether it is the government or private investment firms doing so - but what it does do is reduce the efficiency with which they are paid as now not only pensions need to be paid but profits need to be made as well.

So you kind of end up back to the Ponzi scheme but with more complexity and layers of middle men taking their cut.

What it does do, of course, is enable the government to get the burden of pension provision out of its tax calculations so it can say ā€œweā€™re a low tax governmentā€ - but it doesnā€™t make the necessity to put into a pension go away.

I also think the focus on ā€œindividual responsibilityā€ is not necessarily helpful - it all too quickly encourages selfishness, introspection and many of the other problems we seem to have these days.

To be honest I should not call it a Ponzi scheme, even if that is technically accurate as there are too many negative connotations. Better to emphasise the positives of providing for retirees and social collective benefit.

1 Like