Stocking up for bad weather

The only things in your picture we have are the golden syrup and the baked beans. The children love the beans. Apart from that, we buy crumpets for the kids and Stilton occasionally, mainly for me. I have never liked canned, packaged, jarred and such like foods and many of the things made from things you show (and beyond). I think the reason is that my mother was such an atrocious cook (read Johnny Summerton and my exchanges on this on other blogs to get the intensity of emotion that stirs) who turned everything into either glop, slop or carbonised rubber. As dearly I loved her, once I was trusted in the kitchen I began to cook my own or eat out at friends' homes - they being from various non-European origins in many cases. That is not a criticism of anybodies' tastes, but not what I would keep as a reserve at all. Whatever can stay in the ground does and a good layer of straw usually keep the ground soft enough to dig up a few veggies, lentils, beans and home prepared meat dishes in the freezer. Plus decent hard liquor for the coldest moments.

@Sandra-love that word vitriole......does what it says on the packet!

Your hamlet have a real gem with you and your stores!

@Jane-I have to admit I am not fond of UHT milk either. Its fine for cooking,but in tea and coffee......I'm not a fan.

When I go to a "big " supermarket, I get some fresh, but that's not every week.

We have frozen milk, I only use the long life to make bechamel type sauces.

@Anthony, forgot to mention..........

The picture was taken from an online chat I had with Tim Haywood based on an article he wrote entitled "Guilty Pleasures". The picture is therefore not quite in its original context. As to why I came to France, I feel that is my business, and not part of this light hearted discussion. End of.

At the risk of more vitriole from Anthony Murphy, my understairs cupboards are my mini Tesco, plus I have three and a half freezers full of produce, some homegrown. Two years ago we were cut off from the outside world for ten days, but I will survive! I also have my hen and duck eggs fresh every day. I could keep the hamlet going if I had to!

Sorry Anthony, I was on the telephone to my daughter.

"[my] comment is awaiting approval from the author of the post." Oh, you do free speech too, do you?

Dear Helen, I admit that I hate your picture so much that it makes me spit and steam come out of my ears. This is not surprising: I left England for exactly 'that type of thing'; I used to work in marketing as a brand manager and used to work with that type of ... sh, sh, sh ... product (I used to work in the company that made Frank Cooper's Marmelade and Marmite); I am a part qualified chef - I detest about 85% of what is in that photo (thumbs up for the marzipan, the Billington's, the yeast, the Golden Syrup). I am shocked by this type of thing in France (to you, Food = branded ambient English packaged grocery = processed food = full of additives = you have been taken-in, hook line & sinker by advertising and marketing since you were a kid). It makes me think that you have in fact never ever in fact developed 'taste' in food and eating; so why the heck did you come to France? Heinz, Princes and Nescafé make me physically vomit.

I may be a snob, a food snob, a 'language snob', but frankly I don't care and I don't care what any of you think.

BAKED BEANS??? BAKED BEANS??? why are all you Brits talking about Baked Beans??? Go back and live in Leicester, Slough, Luton, Glasgow or Bradford ... somewhere really British (sic)! Baked Beans are a highly-commercialized, mass-produced, highly-processed American branded tinned product, yet you all crave it? Are you in the right country? You have been indoctrinated since childhood and have not had the maturity and experience to get over it (yet). Snails anyone?

And another thing. The name of your 'craft' group ... do you seriously expect any men to join with a name like that? Natter Patter Tweekey Stitchey? (if this was a company, you would be sued for indirect sex discrimination); what was it again? I'll go and play with my deWalt in my wood workshop instead.

Ha ha ha - "like"? I vomited and then had to take a Prozac and lie down for the rest of the evening.

Ha ha ha - "like"

@Valerie-you go girlfriend!!!

Well you're definitely not alone - I have to search for the Heinz baked beans. Despite several attempts, neither littlun nor I have managed to acquire a taste for the French version but the difference is too vast. While not on the foodie front, I did go out and split an extra load of logs in preparation as well. Mind you, the pile is already greatly reduced so will be out again tomorrow pretending I'm a lumberjack.

Actually Valerie, it is quite an old photo,but as we automatically reach for "comfort foods" in the winter, I thought I would use it.

However, when I went to NOZ today, I did buy two tins of HEINZ minestrone soup!!

I laughed at your photo - everything's British!! Yes, I confess, I did a raid of the intermarche and got extra baked beans/lentils/soup that can be warmed up quickly on top of the wood burner in case the leccy goes off, a few litre bottles of water in case of a burst pipe, milk, an extra bottle of paraffin for the upstairs heater, bread for the freezer and extra cereal for the Twerp. Oh and extra dog and cat food. It filled the trolley and was by no means cheap but, even if there's no freeze which keeps us housebound, it will all be eaten in due course anyway so nothing wasted. Nothing wrong with a bit of forward planning!