Stove top fans, why you need one!

Dennis you wont get a vast movement of air such as standing in-front of a huge fan what it does do is gently circulates the hot air that accumulates over the stove especially in an inglenook where the heat rises and stays trapped above the stove ,the far corners of our kitchen are warmer now than they were

I am confused, not the first time in my life. I read your review and dutifully bought the Valiant when over in England. On my return I found that I was not obtaining the great results that everyone was claiming. I carried out a simple test, on getting the stove up to full temperature and the fan turning at speed, I held a lite candle 200mm from the front of the fan and to my astonishment it did not go out. Now surely if the air that the fan claims to move is correct, it would blow out the candle.

Am I missing something, or is this another example of the "Kings new clothes".

We bought the Valiant a few weeks ago and it is excellent. No complaints and caused a great deal of conversation amongst our French neighbours (35 attended!) when we had an "Open House" evening a couple of weeks ago. It seems, they had never seen one before.

Not ready? do you mean not cold enough yet ;-)

Sigh yes I know a stove is more efficient but we are not ready to replace the open fire. Thanks for input!

Caroline,

There is a device on the market, consisting of a tubular grate with a fan. It recovers some of the heat from the fire and blows it into the room. But it is quite expensive and is much less efficient than a cast iron stove. Some people I know had one. It heated the room better than the open fire on its own, but they have recently replaced it with a stove, have a warmer home and are saving money by sending much less heat up the chimney. Need I say more?

Yes, get rid of the open fire and get a decent log burner. Otherwise you'll be circulating nasty smoke particulates and possibly Co

Can anyone recommend a similar type set up ( for even distribution of heat) for open wood burning fireplace? Thanks

Sold!

I'm selling my original eBay stove top fan, it's in working order and in it's original box. I don't need two, and I have the Vailant.

30 euros including delivery anywhere in France

Who wants it?

I have a Valiant Stove top fan and I love it! It has increased the temperature in my living space by several degrees, it circulates the heat well and after initial cost of £42 it is completely free. I like that it is also an indication to refill woodburner when I notice blade slow down.

Dose your Amazon link up work with any Amazon supplier? if so then te valiant is much cheaper at this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GBGXGMQ/ref=pd_luc_t_ttl_rh_s...

Saw a Valiant in action in the new year. I can confirm that it worked well, keeping the whole room warm and reducing the tendency to huddle around the stove.
The technology is interesting. Apparently it uses the difference in temperature between the base and the fins to produce an electric current that drives the fan.

David: "it's surprising that the human race is still with us"

Peter: Actually I an an alien and we have taken over the world, its just that you don't know it! Yet!

John: "We are doomed, doomed i tell ee oo ar"

Peter: Indeed, see above!

We are doomed, doomed i tell ee oo ar

Oh dear! What with booze, cars, wood burners, foie gras, beef, general over-indulgence and the "concerned" of the world it's surprising that the human race is still with us.

I have also seen a number of reports on the same theme, i commented on one such report and got a torrent of abuse back from a number of save the planet people. I tend to be very cautious when figures are given out we have already seen how they manipulate the temperature of France for their own financial gain using dubious statistics .plus what did they use to produce the smoke did they us seasoned wood was it wet rain soaked, an open fire or an approved properly installed wood burner and who was funding this report could it be the oil industry or an electric company. Wood smoke can cause heart attacks to those already disposed, well so can riding a bicycle up a cat 2 climb in 40degs if you have a dodgy ticker so do we ban bikes. What is the alternative when you live out in the sticks no gas unless you have a large very expensive Propane tank installed, Oil, well you are back down the same path as wood smoke apparently, electricity is expensive and there will be a huge power plant belching huge quantities of whatever into the atmosphere unless its Hydro of course, so what alternative do we have that is cost effective and Eco Friendly Those that still want to flick the switch and the lights and heating work but are opposed to power plants, Wind farms but not in my back yard , Animal rights opposed to killing animals but still want their leather coats shoes and handbags someone somewhere will be up on their soapbox preaching doom and gloom for the world .The south American rain forest was called the lungs of the world some time back but they are cutting and burning areas the size of Wales each day and we all know what happens if your lungs stop working but we must not use a wood fire, bit hypocritical

There is a report in the Times (last week but I have only just returned to France) that wood fired stoves are as bad as diesel for pollution. Research from Kings College, London asserts that they release microscopic particles that can cause heart attacks and aggravate asthma with those already pre-disposed. The research suggests that 13% of urban pollution is caused by wood burning stoves and that their apparent eco friendly carbon neutral qualities also produce adverse health consequences. Apparently the wood burners produce particulates that are much thinner than human hair and can penetrate deep into the lungs.

I only report, so don't shoot the messenger!

My limited personal experience of stoves is they are fine for a relatively small space but for a large space, our kitchen is 50 m2 for example, we discovered that close by we were too hot but outside the immediate area the heating effect was non existent!

Happy Xmas to one and all

Peter S

I cannot for the life of me work out how to add photo lol..but never mind, our wood burner fan is one of the best thngs we ever bought. I have been baking in our lounge since we bought it..the heat travels upstairs along corridor and to 1st two bedrooms. Haven, t even put the central heating on. Once again James, thankyou.

Don't have a lap-top, just a very old second-hand computer that I'm scraping by with, who's updates are coming to an end....Just keep Sean Connery in mind, while I try to source my pic gallery, that disappeared on last -update- of files, and can't now find nearly all 'old' pics...Alternatively I can wait another 8-9 months for our son to come for his annual visit, who has a digi camera and is far more up on this , to set me up on screen...I can't promise it'll be worth the wait, tho'! As OH says, looking at Vic is a bit like looking in a mirror... :-)