Stove top fans, why you need one!

Oh and I did use the Amazon link above

Thankyou James for the info, I have just ordered the Premiair 2014 model, can, t wait to see how it works. Oh and have no idea why my profile photo is sideways, can, t change it lol

Don't think I'll wade through the 10+ pages of this thread to see if anyone has suggested this - so please excuse if I'm repeating.

All that heat that, as you say, James, "simply rises and disperses mainly to the upper floors meaning that the bedrooms up there are generally warmer than the living spaces below" could be re-directed back downstairs with a simple flexible tube with a fan in the top dangling from the highest point in the peak of the roof (above the stairs, perhaps, if this is accessible) with its bottom end positioned in one of your colder ground floor spots.

There are, obviously, various ways of achieving this for very little money and I have every confidence that you are inventive enough to cobble something together to try it out. It needn't be complicated and a polythene sleeve will do (The kids could make it into a big snake). I'm not sure if most computer fans are powerful enough for the job but they are cheap as chips; perhaps a proper extractor fan…

When erecting the partition between the living room and the kitchen, I left one section of the studding clear of noggins and fitted a grill at the top of the living room side and a hole at the bottom of the kitchen side to suck some of the heat through. Not quite finished installing the fans (3) yet so I'll report back when it's had its test-flight.

Hope you all manage to stay as snug as a bug in a rug this Winter.

Just received the Valiant PremiAIR 4 today purchased here in France for 104 euros including p&p. Looking forward to trying it now the cold weather has arrived,hope it lives up to the claims.

I've been looking at these, it makes sense as I've seen very few 'bad' reviews (normally the competition trying to gain a few sales).

I have recently applied, Another fairly cheap and hopefully very effective way of saving fuel for anyone who is a reasonably good handyman......

Above the bottom of the mantelpiece we had around 50cm of empty space then just a sheet of metal to help keep the heat in the chimney. A few years ago I covered this plain metal sheet with two layers of foil, this helped hold the heat down abit. Now I have gone another step further and fitted a double layer of 'Fireboard' flush (and heavy duty foil coated) with the lower part of the Mantelpiece, with a slight upwards slope out in the direction of the living area. I am hoping to see a fairly significant improvement on the amount of heat reflected into the room from this fairly cheap mod (around €65)...... Then add a fan and see the wood savings!!!

If you are thinking of getting one I would appreciate it if you were to use one of the Amazon links on SFN above (or in fact anywhere on SFN). As SFN are members of the Amazon Associates program we receive a small commission on the sale which is in part how the site is funded.

Thanks!

I have updated the post above to include the new PremiAir model from Valiant, I don't have this one so can't comment on it but it certainly looks like it will do the trick and based on previous experience of their products I may upgrade.

:<) Doreen!

I have one of the very latest units which sits on top of my basic Mr Bricolage wood burner (9 ears old 270 euros) and it performs very well. Noise is not an issue or worry at all. Keith's price does seem to be very competitive as I paid quite a bit more in the UK and a friend brought it over. Visitors have also been very impressed! I should say I don't know and have no connection with Keith!

1 Like

Or have you thought of one of these? They can be printed with your own logo or message (SFN Rules OK?), cost only 25 cents each (plus shipping from the USA, min order of 250) and can be strapped to the arms of your wife (or partner) who can at minimal maintenance cost continually fan warm air over your living space. No batteries needed, no melting plastic, no nasty whirring noises.......![](upload://xUc6ni4RTLTMusqtS9GT6O7EYo2.jpg)

One is reminded of a similar engineering device promoted during a clandestine wireless broadcast facilitated by the late, great Mr Kenneth Horne and introduced by Mr Kenneth Williams (code name Sand or was it Jules?) and relating to a bifurcated cordwangler thingy which I am reliably informed would have impelled hot air all over the place at a huge velocity and at virtually nil cost as it was constructed entirely of recycled pilchard tins purloined from the canteen under the very watchful eyes of Gerry.......

Alternatively small battery powered fans can be bought very cheaply. They can be placed in different positions away from the actual poele i.e. near the register plate as they use batteries rather than TEG units could be fitted with rechargeable batteries and you'd save a huge amount of money or in the case of some not have the money in the first place but still need to keep warm.

Ok James, I have removed my erroneous postings just leaving you with the 4 underneath which you read are not useful or on track!

Ted, please don't take that tone on SFN, if you persist it won't be tolerated for long!

John, I would appreciate it if you could help keep this thread useful and on track please.

Thank you both :)

Look, for God's sake. Just put it on cold, any speed, adjust the angle. I am not going to go on any more. Waste fuel if you want, but not me.

Having enjoyed the services of a punkah wallah I am generally in favour but would think their immigration prospects to be limited these days.

One does not actually have the stove in the room with music (aka salon), but in something we call le petit salon, a sort of largish hall, which has a staircase in it winding up the house- no need to heat any of the bedrooms. I went to see granule burners today but they are talking about E4k installed. Now THAT is dotty! OK you can get some tax back but at my age long term payback projects are looking less interesting!

Hire a punkah wallah. Train a small dog to go round in a wheel thus powering the fan. Put on a couple more jerseys. 3 helpful electricity saving tips.

Well I cannot believe that all of you are happy to spend more time waiting for your house to warm up, and thereby use more wood. Absolutely dotty. Why not put some music on, I must say that with the telly on I can barely hear my fan on LOW it also prevent the stove from overheating, which can damage the stove especially if using oak.

Yes I agree that the very IDEA of switching leccy on to blast air across the wood burner seems slightly bizarre and could interrupt the music; the Valiant is essentially pretty quiet