Stove top fans, why you need one!

I hope they keep what they promise in German on the box…
literally translated: soft circulation of warm lust in the house… :smiley:

Just got mine in the post today… wow, that was quick! Just a small question, how do I best position it? Seeing that the surface of my stove isn’t much…:slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

I simply ordered via their site, when it comes to adding your delivery address, it allows you to enter France and it calculates the p&p. In their terms &condition, it just says delivery outside the Uk may take longer.
So, I hope it is ok… :slight_smile:

Now I wish I had looked before ordering, but I think in the end it is the same price as Keith. Although I would have liked to give Keith the business… :frowning:
http://www.warriorwarehouses.co.uk/Catalogue/Heating/Fireplace-Accessories/Heating-Accessories/Stove-Fan-Heat-Powered-4-Blade-FIR360
This is the most economical I have found with P&P at 13£ to France…so roughly 80€.

No worries Keith and self promotion is fine - just like you would tell people what you do if you were down the pub - you just wouldn't push it in their face! (That's the links bit!)

Can you email James re advertising as he deals with all of that and can advise on the best option for you? His email is james@kingswharf.net

Have a good weekend! Cx

Hi Keith

No problem on this occasion as you have only just joined but we operate a strict no commercial self promoting links on SFN. Stops it getting too 'spammy' and keeps our (paying) advertisers happy. So I've edited your post and removed the link. It is absolutely fine to list your website on your home SFN page and direct people there - equally ok to tell people what you do and add phone numbers etc. Hope this clarifies things!

Catharine x

Having just read the review bought one straight away.so we can try it for ourselves. Went for the variant.so we shall see

Yep does sound illogical, I see what you are saying but the shape of the inglenook will govern where the hot air goes to, whereas with the fan facing outwards you can direct the warm air wherever you want it to go which maybe to form a circle around the room or directly to wards the sofa or stair case. Only by adding obstacles to direct the flow where you want it would you acheive what you are saying unless you are very lucky. It's the same with directing water flow in a swimming pool as water and air behave the same. There isn't a draft as such because drafts are seen as cold and not warm.

Something that may not have been mentioned (I have not read all the posts!) Your stove top fan will work more effectively if it faces inwards ie it draws air into the fire place. This may sound illogical but the hot air is then replaced by cool air forcing the hot air outwards. This also reduces the "draft" caused by the fan. If you have a high ceiling a ceiling fan will help, but again it should be set to draw air upwards so forcing the hot air to come down again!!! In my experience chimney ducts are not very efficient and do not warrant the cost of installation. Some years ago I was the only french agent for 2 UK stove manufacturers so I do have some knowledge of this subject.

It needs to reach 100 degrees celsius before it will start working so it must be placed on top of the stove. If you get your stove to a temperature that would melt the fan you would have bigger problems to deal with, the flue would probably have already melted for example. They are designed to work at high temperatures. (I am referring to the Valiant one by the way, the other one did actually bend at temperature).

So I have a question--does the fan actually have to sit on the stove or could it be near the stove--I'm nervous about putting something on top--fear of melting--perhaps irrational fear, but still.

Those of us that live in France all year round know how bitter the winters can be whether it be Northern or Southern France, we just need to educate the powers that be in the uk, unfortunatly for us the uk Gov is doing the Nelson trick and turning a blind eye

I'd like to refer to John Alcocks reply to Keith Foxton's quote/comment ' I realise that winters are less severe than in the UK' !! My dear friends - 4 recent winters in succession in Normandy near Pont L'Eveque with temps as low as minus 20°C at times have driven me back to the Cote d'Azur, not the UK! The UK still gets the Gulf Stream although the bone chilling damp of a winters day on Hampstead Heath might make one think otherwise?

Catherine, when it's cold try wearing more than just pants, even with underfloor heating or a woodburner that can't be good.

Please don't confuse efficiency with cost, electrical heating is more efficient but owing to the profit the companies want to make it may cost more, they are not the same ;-)

I must admit the underfloor heated we had was in a rental property and oil fired so very expensive to run which probably coloured my judgement.

Oops! I did not intend to ruffle feathers or start an argument. My views are simply just that. To clarify. I don’t speak for anyone else, nor have I an agenda or financial interest. I researched underfloor heating in 1974, but it was too expensive and complicated at that time. Since then, plastic pipes and fittings have been invented. Unfortunately, I went blind over that period. Registered blind in 1995. However my love of building persisted, and over the past 5 years I have fitted 3 UF systems. I will be the first to admit that the key to comfort and warmth is ‘INSULATION’. I have taken my lead from Passiv haus, and definitely not members of Parliament. I prefer to put my money where my mouth is, and not just preach about.

There is nothing like getting up to an evenly warm house wherever you walk, on a freezing cold morning. I say that it is easy, because, it is.

Depends on the underfloor heating Catharine. Ours is pure electric with cables running in the floor; not my prefered option becasue it's probably the least efficient but it was in the house. A friend has an electric boiler that runs warm water through pipes and this is much more efficient and comfortable. Other solutions are the heat exchangers that run underfloor heating but in really cold times they need supplemented by another form of heating.

In our last rental house we had oil fired undefloor heating and it was great, but your stuck with the fluctuation in oil prices!!

One thing I totally agree on though is the wood burner. We have a Charnwood and it is absolutely amazing. Big cost initally because we didn't even have the chimney, but worth every penny. Saves us around 300-400€ a year but for much more comfort.

I've had underfloor heating and thought it was pants. Def. prefer my wood burner!

I realise that winters in France are less severe than in the UK"

Hi Keith you obviously have been listening to Duncan Smith and our David, bless him,pity they go no further than the house of commons bar they would perhaps see a different world than their holiday brochure, February was minus 18 with the washing machine frozen for 3 weks and we are in the south west, snowed in every Christmas for the last 3 years last year 29 june i picked up my wife from Carcassonne airport after visiting the uk she demanded we had a fire it was that cold winters less severe i doubt it 62 years i lived in the Midlands close to Staffordshire Moorlands i cant remember minus 18 or being seriously snowed in difficult to get about but not impossible