Strange conversation with HMRC

Little wonder they are in financial difficulties then :thinking:

Yep…

My Avis tells me that 0,000% will be deducted at source…:thinking: I will make the Declaration in May 2019 and adjustments will follow…

The Govt site gives this Timetable:

2018 paiement des impôts dus au titre des revenus de 2017
printemps 2018 déclaration des revenus de l’année 2017, permettant de connaître le taux de prélèvement applicable au 1er janvier 2019
été 2018 réception de l’avis d’impôt des revenus 2017, mentionnant le taux de prélèvement
octobre 2018 transmission du taux au collecteur (employeur, caisse de retraite…)
janvier 2019 début du prélèvement sur les revenus de 2019
printemps 2019 déclaration des revenus de l’année 2018
septembre 2019 actualisation du taux de prélèvement en fonction de la déclaration des revenus 2018

I suspect that most folk who do NOT have a French employer etc… will be dealt with like this… as France cannot take at source, what is not sourced in France…:zipper_mouth_face:

No, of course they can’t but you see your deductions will start in January? Have you opted for Prélèvement à l’échéance?

Thanks Graham - that’s helpful. I have a fin tech bank account and card that has been very useful . In fact it offers 2 accounts one in £ the other € which have IBANs.so I’ve been able to pay bills and small deposits through it. Their rates are much better than any bank or currency exchange . I wouldn’t trust large sums through it though even though it’s allegedly protected by the FSA - it is backed by 2 UK banks - there’s also a French version apparently. It too offers the provision to turn the card on and off and operates Geolocation although the card still managed to get cloned while we were in SE Asia - my daughter’s did too. They were quite quick to sort it out even though you can’t actually talk to a person!

Hi John… I have not opted … they have told me…that they will be making deductions at 0,000% … ie nothing… and thus, as per the Gov Site which says… they will sort things out in the Autumn, after the Declaration in May…

It will be interesting to learn how other ex-UK folk are affected by the new rules…

I was told by my lovely lady at the tax office to make an appointment in April and that she will do all the paperwork for and with me. As I don’t pay tax there should be no problems.

I think that the impôt offices are well aware that we are uncertain about procedures. During previous discussions with them it has come across that if you are up front and honest with them about ALL your financial affairs then they will help you.

Cannot understand why some people try to hide the fact that they have a UK residence, are renting it but not declaring it. Or that they live here permantly and not as a second home owner.

Why take the risks, honesty is always the best policy IMHO ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Quite right Ann… we so need to keep reminding folk… tell the Tax Folk everything and let them sort it out.

and, despite the fact that we are being encouraged to do Declarations on-line (apart from the first one)… it should be remembered that anyone who is unable to handle on-line stuff can still do the Paper Declaration… either on their own and posting it (I believe)… or in the Tax Office itself.

Tax Folk are not ogres… they would rather help us get things right, than have to spend time making corrections… :relaxed:

That’s not what I’ve been told Stella. My information is that my 2017 income will be used to calculate a regular prélèvement (I haven’t checked if this is monthly or quarterly) and that a tax credit will be issued equal to my 2018 income (in effect we get a year tax free) . My 2020 prélèvements will then be based on my 2019 actual.

I should have aksed for a link to that page Stella. Is it on the impots website?

Not exactly the same page… but if you check the first section/diagram… it give the same information/timetable…

Another useful Question & Answer section:

https://www.economie.gouv.fr/prelevement-a-la-source/faq-contribuable#declaration-2019

Thanks Stella. That all supports my understanding. From January I will pay installments based on my 2017 income (as I said I haven’t checked if it’s monthly or quarterly, both are possible). Next May when I make my tax declaration for 2018 I will be issued with a tax credit for all income considered as “usual”. In other words nobody can dump a load of income into '18 and get away with it. In effect, as I mentioned back in March, we’re getting a year (2018) tax free.

So, one no longer pays tax in arrears, we’ll be paying 2019 tax in 2019. The amounts won’t be issued until September but I suggest you check then that your prélèvement is zero.

I’m sure there’s criteria, level of income, private health insurance, etc. to ensure that people taking advantage of the scheme are nett contributors to the Portugese economy. It’s a pity the language is so difficult.

When I make the Declaration in May… on-line… it should tell me straight away if I will need to pay Tax… but I will keep my eyes wide open… :slight_smile:

Thanks Stella. That all supports my understanding. From January I will pay installments based on my 2017 income (as I said I haven’t checked if it’s monthly or quarterly, both are possible). Next May when I make my tax declaration for 2018 I will be issued with a tax credit for all income considered as “usual”. In other words nobody can dump a load of income into '18 and get away with it. In effect, as I mentioned back in March, we’re getting a year (2018) tax free.

So, one no longer pays tax in arrears, we’ll be paying 2019 tax in 2019. The amounts won’t be issued until September but I suggest you check then that your prélèvement is zero.
[/quote]

Spot on.

I was travelling at the beginning of 2017 and overlooked my first tax payment. I only realised when the demand for the second payment arrived and I was looking at a 10% fine on the first tranche. I went to my local tax office paid the first (including the fine) and the second tranches and explained the situation. While totally accepting blame I also implicated the Impôts as I hadn’t received a reminder email. The advice was to wait till the end of the year and write them a letter looking for forgiveness. I did that in Octoberish and waited a couple of months without too much hope but in due course they refunded the fine.

I find them very helpful.

1 Like

I just reread your post. May '19 is too late.

Sorry John… too late for what ??

after making the on-line Declaration… (next Spring/May)… I should know straight away if there will be any alteration/adjustment to my Tax status quo…which will come into play in the following September … that is how I read the Site… :thinking: but it will be interesting to see how the whole thing pans out… :zipper_mouth_face:

The whole system changes next year Stella. You don’t pay in arrears anymore.

Morning Stella,

Fount of information as usual.

Where did you find information regarding your deduction at source ? I have just received my tax bill, there is a lot of information with regard to the changes, but I cannot see where it tells me if I am going to have to make a monthly/quarterly payment.

Sorry if I am being thick

Andy