Swapping licence for a French one

Fair enough… a friend got excited when he was asked to send a photo… and, as I said, at least they’re working on it if they asked for something…

The extra thing they asked me for at the end of the process was the thingy from DVLA saying that you are legit. Then they should contact you with an attestation (which you can use instead of a driving licence) and you send off your old licence at that point. Two weeks does seem to be cutting it a wee bit fine though… :thinking:

Thanks - this was requested approx 4 weeks ago

Oh good - in that case you should expect the licence request/attestation any minute… :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

The expiry date on my photocard has now expired.

Today I went to France Services for the 3rd time.

The lady telephoned ANTS and was told applications take 9-10 months. I told her that this was not the case but she insisted. I pointed out the problem that we cannot apply until 6 months before expiry and that would cause a problem for many as there would be a 4 month gap.

My partner’s licence was exchanged in about a month - although her’s had expired during the post-Brexit period so don’t know if they prioritised those and newer ones take longer. Hope you get sorted soon.

Was the lady at France Services able to advise anything after ANTS gave this ridiculous timeframe? Did she make any comment about how unacceptable this was?

If this was the UK I’d be more relaxed. But France is a much more rule-driven authoritarian state. This would cause me so much stress just to be out and about in case I get stopped by the wrong gendarme.

1 Like

I have been told to keep a printed copy of my application in the car along with the attestation.

The France Services just suggested it was normal for France!

1 Like

If you’ve got the attestation, you’ll have sent off the UK licence? I think my attestation stood in the place of a licence for 3 months.

I have not yet been asked to send off the licence (only the DVLA code in November).

Apologies I have the Justacatif not the attestation.

Any possibility of renewing your UK licence?

The risk of renewing your licence in the UK is not just that it is illegal in UK terms, but you are signing something to swear you are NOT a french resident. Which could come back to bite you, and as well you will then have to wait years to even attempt to exchange.

Don’t do it.

3 Likes

I wonder if there’s a misunderstanding… 9-10 weeks (not months) is how it’s played out recently for a friend. He applied in early November and had his license in his hand last Friday 27th January … he was over the moon (and I was very relieved).

They suggested it would be May or June!

Some of us felt we had no choice Jane, I spent over a year trying to exchange mine but kept getting rejected so took the easy option and renewed.

@tim17
Did ANTS/whoever state why they refused to exchange your license…???

Not necessary and Brexit were two explanations I was given. Unfortunately this was in 2019/2020 so when Covid hit it was nigh on impossible to speak to anyone, I took the decision to renew in late 2020 but am fully aware that it’s not legal.

Ah yes, that makes some sort of chaotic sense… they would have said that in 2019/20. It was a time of strife and troubles all round.

( I wan’t taking a dig at you, I’d simply forgotten what you’d originally said…)

Never thought you were Stella, sometimes situations beyond your control force you to take decisions that you wouldn’t normally.

3 Likes

So, correct me if I’m incorrect, but essentially it seems as though you’re driving on a licence that is illegal in both the EU and the UK!

That could go very badly and expensively wrong, particularly if the police or an insurance company is involved.

1 Like