Swapping licence for a French one

Your reference to how the DVLA view this is (sort of) in line with how the UK government’s “Living in France” guide views it except that, as usual, there is a certain amount of ambiguity.

According to @Kim 's Gude to exchanging a UK licence for a French one, you can apply to change it 6 months before the 4b date - i.e. if different from the 70th birthday, which is the column 11 date on the back of the licence, you can can apply to change it then. Whatever DVLA think, it seems to be a requirement in France that your photocard is in date? In the case of my partner, 4b is 5 years earlier than column 11, so unless Kim tells me I have got this completely wrong, we’ll be using that date.

You are right about the date for updating your licence but what this is saying is that if this date is exceeded you do not lose your right to drive. That & the validity of your photo are mutually exclusive. If any penalty was applied it would be for having an out-of-date photo, not driving without a licence.

Yes indeed. I was somewhat concerned that perhaps people would read about the right to drive not having expired and assume that they didn’t have to apply for a replacement! I understand you can be fined in France for an expired photocard?

Hi Angela, 4b is your photo and some medicals are linked to that date on a UK licence.

Your licence is column 11 or up to 70 with the original GB paper licence, all the time these are valid you have a valid licence, however, it is still a fineable offence in both the UK and France to have an expired card.

You can drive in France with an expired card as long as you have an application to exchange in the system without the risk of being fined. It is and has always been an obligation to exchange your licence if the card or licence has expired, or you received any point withdrawal if you live here.

You can also drive in the UK with an expired card but the fine is/can be quite hefty and you must argue with the official that you no longer live in the UK.

Hope that clarifies.

4 Likes

That is beautifully clear, @kim - thank you!

1 Like

7 months after my application my licence has arrived in the post this morning.

So from now on need to slow down and get no more speeding fines as the points now count!

6 Likes

Not in the UK they don’t :wink: Your fun only starts on your next trip :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

So glad it’s arrived… you must be so relieved… !!!

Do you mean you can zip around in the uk, forget about cameras as points cannot be added to your French licence. :rofl:

Yes :joy:

1 Like

Thanks to all on here and of course mostly to Kim Cranstoun and her magnificent FB page, I received my new French licence (registered post) this week. An email two weeks before, attesting that all I had to do was post them my UK plastic photocard and Bob’s yer Uncle. I applied last November, as advised - 6 months before my photocard was due to expire. The other pleasant surprise was the expiry of my new card was 15 years hence, when I will be 91!

3 Likes