Taking furniture and other items to a maison secondaire

:joy: Yes my first thought on not getting stopped or missing the shed is, I must go back tomorrow :joy:

2 Likes

No not really, same applies, actually never been requested to go to the office at Calais.

any chance you can drive the van next week :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just crossed at the weekend,I had no paperwork with me. Newhaven -Dieppe. Towing a trailer behind our Motorhome en route to our secondary house. Unusually, I was directed to the truck lane, showed passport and then Customs asked to see what was in the trailer. I had my used ride on lawnmower and bicycle. A few frowns and questions about the mower, was I taking it back to UK… - Yes- I was then told off for not going in the ‘Goods to declare’ I apologized and went on my way.
My lawn is looking good now and a lot quicker than hand mowing :grinning:.

Just checking, that sounded like Dieppe to Newhaven?

No, Newhaven -Dieppe, French customs were asking me if I would be taking it back to UK, after cutting the grass.

1 Like

Hi all just an update on the trip I’m happy to say we didn’t encounter any problems at all re the contents of the van/taxes etc after giving the van lists and passports to the customs officer he asked for the property info and enquired about it being a maison secondaire then we were instructed to wait over to the left near the offices and after 15 minutes we were handed our paperwork back and told to crack on with our journey, The only bad parts of the trip was not knowing the script on the ferry we were wondering why other passengers were carrying sleeping bags and pillows but after boarding every quiet and carpeted area was occupied it was like a massive sleepover, Then there was the tolls I got my backside slapped with that so avoided the expensive stretch on the return trip however we did take some removal blankets onto the ferry for the trip back and managed some sleep this time, All in all it was a good trip with just under 2000 miles covered the house is now full to busting we had some quality time with two of our best friends met some new ones enjoyed the bastille day fireworks and drank plenty of wine.

12 Likes

There you go, said they were not particularly interested. Done the journey so many times in my vans even one after B**x*t
Glad it went well :blush::+1:

Oh do you go back regularly then? When was this please ? Xx

Hi Cat… we’ve not been back since covid.

This was last week Cat

1 Like

Right. Well in the nicest possible way as your info is at least three years out of date , could you PLEASE stop commenting on every frigging thread in the site . The average age of our readership is 35 and continuous comments from the Darby and Joan brigade stop new ´folk’ (!!!) from joining in. Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever seen a more abusive comment to someone trying to help especially from a forum owner

6 Likes

That’s shockingly brutal. Stella contributes a lot to your site and she doesn’t deserve that.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Believe me I am more than angry, that someone who has contributed so much to a place , who goes out of her way to be supportive can be spoken to so disdainfully, it would be disgraceful in a DM let alone open forum
Plus it is offensive to those of us in a higher age group to be told that we , who have posted so much are putting the younger ones off

6 Likes

That seems unnecessarily harsh. To be a bit less British, it’s an outrageous way to speak to anyone.

Edited to add, as a relatively new person to this forum, but on the wrong side of 35, it’s good to know that I’m not particularly welcome.

6 Likes

What a rude thing to say. I had thought better of you, Cat.

6 Likes

You are all perfectly entitled to your opinion !

I expect the majority of posters here are over the age of 60 and, without them, the 35 year olds would have nothing to read.
Izzy x

5 Likes