Taxation on Uk property income

No worries Andy, I’ve been onto the group and I have the document you were talking about. So thanks again, I’ll be armed with it when I go for my appointment on Thursday.

3 Likes

Really glad to be of help Sarah

Took me 4-5 days to find out all the info, so nice to share

Shows you what a brilliant site SF is

:+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Well the tax office cancelled my rdv!!! Someone rang me yesterday to say that they were having IT problems and therefore didn’t have time to look into my issue in time for the appointment, so they would have to cancel. No more available appointments before I go away at the end of November and they seem to be packing up for Christmas on 9th December as there are no more appointments after that date. So it looks like I’ll have to wait until after Christmas. Bit fed up tbh as I wanted to get it sorted before Christmas :slightly_frowning_face:

Morning Sarah

We did our appeal via our private space on the tax web site.

We used the online chat facility and downloaded any documents.

It only took them 10-14 days to get back to us

Might be worth trying this

Andy

1 Like

Hi Sarahk
I think the site Andy refers to is the group within Facebook, apply answer the Qs and youre set.

I too rent a small property in uk & our problem so far re French tax return was that they doubled OHs revenues. Wierd because the last page was correct in the breakdowns?! Rdv made & awaiting outcome of challenge.

Be interesting to see when thats corrected if we have any "new"charges. Itll be another potential headache next year on declaring a private pension for me.
One or 2 of these :wine_glass:will help afterwards!:laughing:

1 Like

Ask at your Mairies office if they have visiting bureau staff. Ours has someone come once a month but they visit different villages each week. Unfortunately I’m not at home so cannot show you the leaflet I have. Good luckx

Is this France Services? In our villages they have people one or two days a week. Very useful.

Jane Jones yes it is.
We also have a local bureau, in Dept 03 Ebreuil, that assists on a number of administrative issues.

Hi again

I’m still having problems with this, I got back from a visit to our son in Thailand this morning. I made a rdv before we left for tomorrow morning but sent all the information via the messaging service including the document quoting the relevant legislation. There was a message on my answerphone this morning saying that the social charges on the rental income are correct and that there is no point keeping the rdv as the issue is now resolved. I’m not quite sure where to go now. I intend to keep the rdv for tomorrow as I want to be absolutely sure that I’ve filled the tax form in correctly. The guy seemed to be saying that it’s because I’m not paying tax in the Uk (which seems to suggest that they are saying the tax credit would be equal the uk tax and not the French tax!!)

I’m wondering whether to pay a taxation treaty expert to talk to the tax office on my behalf - I have quite a good level of French but seem to be having problems being understood - I wondered whether anyone could recommend someone. Thanks, Sarah

I would suggest you try to do it yourself, and take it up a level.

Thanks so much Jane, will try this.

Sarah

@sarahk one potential card to have up your sleeve, used judiciously, when seeking to resolve matters amicably with your local tax office, ie as Jane and others have sensibly advised, is to have an awareness of the existence of the competent authority mechanism.

Each tax treaty will have a so-called competent authority which is usually a senior member of each country’s tax service who regularly meet to discuss and resolve conflicting interpretations of the treaty. If discussions with your local tax office are not proceeding in the direction desired, ie they continue to misunderstand the application of the avoidance of double taxation article in the treaty, specifically article 24 (3)(a)(i) which merely require you to be subject to UK tax on your rental income, NOT to have paid tax, then you could mention you are fully aware of the competent authority mechanism.

This is where a tax payer can approach either competent authority (eg HMRC) and alert them to what appears to be a misunderstanding of the treaty by your local French tax office. The competent authority could then, at least if they take up the matter, seek to resolve it with their opposite number. I really should stress that you absolutely shouldn’t need to actually invoke/implement this, since they undoubtedly have bigger fish to fry, but it could show the local tax office, if you mention it very diplomatically, very non threateningly, but firmly, that you are aware of your rights, and the treaty protocols. It might help concentrate local minds.

My past experience of dealing with competent authorities is that they are pretty used to mutually resolving ‘eccentric’ local interpretations - if necessary.

Good luck.

Hi Sarah

They tried to do that to us. The first time we appealed they said sod off we are correct.

I would strongly suggest that you make an appeal using your personal tax space. This will go to people who know what they are doing. Local offices are misinterpreting the new rules.

We appealed sending copies of all docs. took the 10 days, but got us the result we needed.

Good luck

Andy