Teaching Staff Room

Sheila - give me a call next week and I’ll chat you through how I’ve got work (no great mystery BTW - just can’t be arsed to keep typing after today - fingers about to drop off and would rather talk!!)

Thanks for that, Dedene. My thinking was to pick up some private clients around the area, or the odd professional who needs English for work, etc. Don’t think I’d have the courage to teach a large class in a school or in a company!

Hi Sheila,
I did an on-line TEFL course and to be honest,it was useful for me and my confidence, but it’s not recognized at all by any organization or company here in France.
I’ve been teaching private clients and through an association, so it’s helped. But now I want to teach more through governmental organizations and through language institutes and I’ve found that the CELTA is required.

So I’m going to do a CELTA.
It so much depends on what level you want to teach.

best of luck, Dedene

Hi everyone. I’m living in Lagrasse (Aude, 11) and in the process of completing an on-line TEFL course. Would be glad to hear of others’ experiences re getting work using TEFL qualification.

Hi Catherine, yep, I think it’s about the most satisfying job I’ve ever done.

@ Sarah - just noticed you teach in a prison - that must be hugely interesting.

Sarah and “staffers”, Seeing now that being an American and getting a job in Europe is difficult–not impossible, but difficult. All of the comments have given me insight into the issues I need to address. I am sure more chatting will come. Regards, Barbara

Hi Barbara - I’m afraid I have zilch experience of using sites to find work… everything I do has happened through contacts, including the prison job. I live in a part of France where there are very few native English speakers, so people seek out the few of us who are here … sorry I can’t help more.

Sarah, would you mind posting here some good sites to look for jobs. I am doing some research as well, which is how I found this group. Would also appreciate any other information as well.

I also don’t have any French qualifications. I teach English at a prison, and their requirement was that I had a degree plus getting through an interview. It’s worth saying, too, that it’s one of the best jobs I’ve ever had!

Just to clear something up - I’ve taught in a number of French institutions and I don’t have any French qualifications, however I do speak good French and I do have a degree as well as my own business teaching English. It is possible to get into the system but it isn’t easy - and rates of pay vary a lot. However in general there is a demand for good English (langues vivantes) teachers and if you are a good communicator and have the resources to go and make it work, I think there are opportunities. But it isn’t easy and you need to be wary of accepting n’importe quoi!

Emma, thank you for the information. I am sorry to say that I don’t speak French though I have studies Latin and Spanish and can “almost read” most romance languages.

I have heard from some people that teachers with experience in autism might be in demand as the autism rates are rising. I will also look at the site to see how or if I can get some credentials in France. Regards, Barbara

Katrina, the universities post language assistant posts on their websites - they control who goes where and you have to have an initiation in September. I’m not sure, but I think that apps are in by April/May.

Barbara, to teach in France, no matter where you qualified, you have to have French qualifications unless you are working in the private schools which may accept your qualifications. You may find that you’d get some work for the department working with special needs children - you can search on pole emploi for assistants in schools requiring ‘aide sociale’ or something along those lines. It very much depends on the population in the area - of course, cities have more opportunity. I know that jobs occasionally come up for children with visual or auditory needs, but I don’t usually see any for autistic spectrum disorders. How good is your French, Barbara?

I just joined today so you would not know about my query, but I will follow your advice and ask Laurent. Thanks for the quick response. I will get a picture up in the next 24. b

Hello new ladies - photos please!!
I have to say, I have no idea about either of your queries (sorry!) but hopefully someone else here will…

But do ask Laurent Prevot who works within the fr system - he may well be able to give you some advice as he recently worked as a teaching assistant. He is not on SFN much at the moment as he is away from home so send him a message and he should respond when he gets it. And if not let me know and I will nag him…

I just joined SFN as one of my daughter’s friends, Jennifer Hagan, is a member and I wanted to communicate with her and others in the country.

I have training as a special education teacher, have passed all of the requisite tests,gotten a graduate degree and taught for two years in a school with a high number of students with autism, severe autism and other disabilities. Very interested in teaching and living in Europe.

Any assistance would be greately appreciated. Regards, Barbara

Hi Everyone,

I’m currently working in Paris but not as a teacher. I’m basically looking for advice on Language Assistant positions or advice on how to start an after-school English club for young learners, quals/certs/permissions etc. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Kat

Hi Everyone.

Welcome to the group all new peeps. Sorry to have been off the scene for a while. Unfortunately I’ve got a new teaching job, which takes up far too much of my time, which I’d much rather be spending piddling around on forums like this one, but which just possibly gives me a bit more cred than a doing-nothing-nobody in the teaching world.

Sooo, here I am and what I would really like is for a few of the newest members to introduce themselves and tell us where they are teaching, what they are teaching, and… how they are teaching. Whatever you like. Look forward to reading you guys.

;~Sab

Hello again and a big welcome to all those who have joined the group! Tell us about yourselves and who / what / where you are teaching…?

I’m loving Sab’s blog too… Revive, revive, revive!