Team GB golds

Stay local ban all travel over 100km, no holidays further than that, ban all sports meetings as well as traveling to concerts etc and make all Covid travel restrictions during lockdown permanent and do way with airports as well :wink::open_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

So letā€™s get this right, you want to ban all international sport on environmental grounds but donā€™t see a problem with visiting your daughter in Germany or wherever she may be posted to, are you planning to walk there and back? :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes, but not quite so simple, as althougn the origi,nal Games were between competitors from different city states, all were Greeks. In other words modern Olympian notions of nationhood and national representation didnā€™t really exist . It would have been more like Man Utd playing Arsenal (albeit perhaps less hostile)ā€¦

3 Likes

Why the rant on this forum? Am I missing something?

1 Like

It appears that some people canā€™t bear anything successful happening that involves Great Britain.

2 Likes

Seemingly yes,

A forum is a place, situation, or group in which people exchangeideas and discuss issues, especially important public issues.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/forum

A forum is a place for discussing issues, good, bad or otherwise. People were discussing issues.

2 Likes

No, if I do go and visit her I will take the train.
Can you really not see the difference in all the infrastructure that has to be built for an Olympic Games or similar, all the teams, coaches and other necessary people, plus all the volunteers, plus the spectators all travelling from across the world?
We are having the worst summer we have had for a long time, other places in the world are underwater and others on fire, this is due to global warming and we all have to make sacrifices and live simpler lives and this includes sports people of all disciplines.

1 Like

Weā€™ve had this conversation before Jane, stopping all global events (sports or otherwise) will have a catastrophic effect on economies all over the world, millions will instantly lose their jobs with no immediate possible alternative employment, what happens to them?

Climate change will not be reversed by banning the Olympics etc, if we as consumers altered our eating and shopping habits then just maybe the planet would have a chance of surviving.

1 Like

Although the first Olympic competitors did it in the buff and whilst being no expert on such matters, I think the benefits might not be apparent in certain events, for instance gentlemen on the pommel horse. And, as for cycling, well, say no more! But on the other hand, as far as I know, the bicycle didnā€™t feature in the Greeksā€™ Olympics (although Andrew Hearne might be better informed on this intriguing possibility) .

1 Like

Yes, and we have had our first taste of what global warming is already doing.
People have lost their jobs over the years as industries change and international sport is no different.
People are already altering their eating and shopping habits, although the cheap clothing industry will be badly hit and those who work in it in the far east will lose their jobs. Apparently clothing, buying, washing and drying thereof is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gases.
At the moment there seems to be very little made of the difference between beef raised on feed lots or in sheds and fed on maize and the animals raised on grass, which is an appalling state of affairs.
Capturing carbon in grass pasture is more efficient than planting trees, so consumers should be made aware of this fact and try buy accordingly.
Food has been subsidised for far too long and this has helped the supermarkets achieve their stranglehold over farmers.

@Jane_Williamson ā€¦well try telling that to people who go to the ā€œBillion Dollar Holiday Resortā€ in Bahamas as profiled on Channel 5 early yesterday Sunday evening. Its energy consumption is equivalent to 25,000 houses and worse. ā€¦(I just caught a bit of it whilst waiting for something else lest you think this is my normal viewing diet !). The programme showed extreme profligate consumption ā€¦but how do you stop this unless you make it illegal, unfortunately there will always people who have so much money they think threats donā€™t apply to them.

Exactly that, make it illegal. Bitcoin mining too. All those gin palaces replaced by sailing yachts, this is another war, but it is affecting our children and grandchildren.
We all have to make sacrifices.