Ten things I wish I'd known before moving to France

Yup, those are the threesome! It still makes me laugh…

Oh and aren’t the ducklings great Catharine. Are they the ones you were talking about…???/ Smashing Jim and I had to watch it 3 times.

Don’t ever ask a French person how they feel. They will go to great lengths to tell you.

Love it! esp 4, 5 and 6…!

Your ducks in the bath!

That I would be called “l’anglaise” because of my other half, when I’m a born and bred Normande…

I’m lucky then… nearby village (about 12km) has a market on Sunday morning so all the shops in that village tend to open until midi to catch the extra trade. It’s the opening hours of the local pharmacie that I can’t get to grips with! :slight_smile:

Yeah the supermarkets are usually open, but every shop in town closes for lunch :slight_smile: And nothing here is open on a Sunday unless it’s a holiday on the Monday :slight_smile: Still love living here though, before Katie slaps me for ‘moaning’ hehe

Chrissie, you should live in Germany. The women are taught they can’t drive by their driving instructors! I’ve warned my husband if he screams “PRAT” at the top of his voice whist navigating Nice once more, I’'ll push him out of the car. Heys Niks , I’ve told you before to come down here. Most of the shops are open all day and some on Sundays. I’m having a smug day today. :slight_smile:

Nikki - have you checked out opening times for all your local supermarkets? My nearest LeClerc stays open ‘non-stop’ so I shop between 12-2 whilst everybody else is scoffing. Brilliant - empty roads AND empty shop.

Jeni - love number (9). :slight_smile: And I swear that if my neighbour (French) says another derogatory word about women and cars I shall arrange for him and his little white van to be dropped in the middle of the Marble Arch roundabout so he can learn what REAL traffic is all about!!

1. I’d fall in love with the south of France.
  2. The French allow dogs everywhere. (almost)
  3. Supermarkets sell awful vegetables.
  4. Monaco is cramped, noisy and full of highrise apartments.
  5. Everyone is so laid back.
  6. The local rose (with an acute) is out of this world.
  7. People swim in the sea every day of the year
  8. The policemen (down here) are lovely.
  9. The drivers can’t.
  10. I hope I never ever have to leave.
  • That everything stops between 12 and 2 - so no lunchtime shopping
  • That most restaurants ONLY serve food between 12 and 2, so no dropping in for a bite to eat mid afternoon!

You saying about ‘that new English couple’ Nikki, I have gone past these 2 old ladies who go for a walk at the bottom of our lane every day whilst taking my son to school, they always stop and stare at us when I go by as if we have landed out of space, sometimes I get a stunned wave, then they watch incredulously as I go out of sight in my car (can see this in my rear view mirror) but I have been doing this for nearly 9 years now! Always amazes me!

That the Gascon accent would be harder to navigate than the French language. And that, once you DO get past the accent and show signs of understanding the conversation, they will switch into patois…

That you start to pick up the Gascon accent (anyone for a glass of ‘veng’?) and all your Parisian friends fall about laughing!

That UK based potential clients tend to think telecomms/remote working stops at the White Cliffs of Dover.

• Don’t believe anyone (especially the RSI) when they say you should have your Carte Vitale in 3 months
  • If you’re self employed and work from home, NO-ONE will know how to categorise you
  • 3 years after moving into a village, you will still be known as ‘that new English couple’

having to give over everything but a sample of your Dna and promise of your 1st born childs soul to rent an appartment (but im sure it will come)

Given the other comments on facebook already, I have a feeling that this should have been entitled ‘100 things…’

Exchange rates were going to plummet.
Job seeking would be a nightmare. I did have a job before we moved but that was a disaster too.
The French “label” everyone and have difficulty in accepting that you can adapt to new situations.

That in winter after 8pm the french hibernate! streets are empty - nobody anywhere, nothing going on unless you live in a city I guess, find that very hard to swallow aaaggghhh!!