That 'awful' offal

Och aye the noo! (Pathetic sassenach response, but in the spirit of real haggis, I hope :thinking::shushing_face:)

When I had driven to France from Stroud on my own, done my shopping and arrived at our house, about 12 hours, I unpacked the car and cooked myself foie de veau with green beans.
It only took five minutes to make and was the start of my French holiday.

1 Like

Absolutely.
Try Around Britain Dairy Cookbook and Jane Grigsonā€™s English Food.

my other half and family are aveyronnaise but I canā€™t stand the stuff ; tĆŖte de veau, tripoux and the rest are horrendous (to me) even though I have to sit there whilst the others tuck in!

1 Like

Deliciousā€¦ and easy, as you say.

We eat the liver from both veal and lamb - provided it is cut into thin, slender strips, coated with flour and gently pan-fried in butterā€¦ :hugs:

I gave a couple of tins of Grantā€™s ā€œpremiumā€ haggis to French pals a month ago after they asked about it. One of them is a chef. Havenā€™t heard a word about it since. Iā€™m hoping they are saving it for a special occasion and just havenā€™t had a chance to try it yet. I may pluck (sorry!) up the courage to ask them. Love haggis and the tinned stuff is pretty good, although you canā€™t easily slash it open with a dagger.

1 Like

Ah, that butcher had wonderful faggots.

I think I met them on a night out in Bath :wink:

Is it Bath that has a bent terrace - or is my memory playing tricksā€¦:thinking::roll_eyes:

Yes

Crescent

1 Like

Love faggots (so to speak or rather, type) and have seen various fagotty things on local butcherā€™s stalls, but being married to an offal suspicious S. African, opportunities for exploration are limited. Nevertheless to give her her due, sheā€™s moved from vegetarian to being une mangeuse du jouet et des cues.

Incidentally (while not wishing to gross out madame DrMH), Iā€™m slightly surprised that there havenā€™t been any postings on Bury, Oldham etc black puddings, or as we now say, ā€˜boudin noirā€™. Similarly weā€™ve had haggis (and very welcome too), but whereā€™s the white pudding and perhaps other northern delicacies largely unknown to Sassenachs?

A great treat as a child in Lancashire was a black pudding (with mint sauce) served in a (non-American) muffin on open air markets.

My son loves white pudding, he always brings a supply back from Ireland.
The first time I saw it was on a trip to Blackpool, there were many scottish people there that weekend and I think somebody mentioned it was a staple for them.

1 Like

@Lily and @DrMarkH

Surely we are talking boudin noir et boudin blanc ???

both of which are delicious and come in various flavours :hugs:

both sorts feature regularly at the breakfast stops en route to whereverā€¦

Oh yes! But of course your posting could start another thread on the relative merits of English and Irish breakfasts (give me the latter - yum!)

1 Like

Mealie pudding is heaven :heart: I love boudin, esp aux pommesā€¦ back to Scottish things: proper porridge, square sausage, selkirk bannock, bridies, butteries, tablet, tunnocks teacakes and snowballs (health food, obv), mutton pies, oatcakes, cullen skink, bashed neeps, Scottish plain bread, golden syrup (Lyle was a Scot), cinder toffee, haggis obvā€¦ all so so delicious and all so responsible for the record breaking heart disease, toothrot and stroke stats.

2 Likes

You missed out the Irn bru and deep fried mars barsā€¦
I will miss the Scottish oat cakes and various smoked fishesā€¦Arbroath Smokies are a delight when fresh from the smoker.
Scottish food has moved on from the 80ā€™s big tome, there are excellent ingredients to be found, sadly not in every supermarket and not at prices the Scots want to pay. Hence the mega processed stuff adding to the waistlines.

1 Like

Have you tried it as Venetian liver.
Cut into thin strips, best done whilst still a bit frozen.
Gently fry one onion each, turn up the heat and add the liver.
Add chopped parsley and sage and a dash of balsamic.
Superb!

1 Like

Haha - that was a list of things I like to eat! Yes to all smoked fish :heart:
I loathe Irn bru and Mars bars in whatever state they are -

1 Like

Glasgow Fair, they invaded Morecambe as well.
Lots of benches thrown over the sea wall onto the beach and fights.

1 Like

That does sound delicious, Jane.

Iā€™ll certainly give that a whirl.