That political discussion with occasional humour thread

@Griffin36 Hmmm

12 Likes

I suppose these neatly illustrate why political “humour” is best confined to its own thread.

Q: How can you work out if someone is “woke”?

A: You don’t need to: they’ll tell you.

3 Likes

Looks more like a Wolseley 15/60 to me…

wolseley 16-60 engine

3 Likes

My stepfather had one of those, that colour too. However, even to my young (and then untutored eye) the pointed tail fins seemed a tad out of place on an otherwise fairly conservative British car.

This is about as funny as

Q: How can you work out if someone is not “woke”?

A: You don’t need to: they’ll take the 40 year old vegan joke that was probably even something else before that, lazily change the word to woke then tell you it.

5 Likes

And then add, mind you I’m not against people being vegans / but I’m not racist / there’s a gay guy who works in my office who’s seems OK…

Q. Why is it ‘woke’’ rather than ‘awake’?

1 Like

African American parlance, slang for ‘awoken’. The etymological origin of the word comes from “awaken”—the opposite of being asleep. As Isaiah:

Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the Lord; awake, as in days of old … Wake yourself, wake yourself, stand up, O Jerusalem, you who have drunk from the hand of the Lord the cup of his wrath, who have drunk to the dregs the bowl, the cup of staggering …

This section of Isaiah is called The Book of Comfort because it attempted to calm Jews during the Babylonian captivity, a calamity wherein they lost their first Temple and were exiled from their homeland. Here, Isaiah can be read as warning against oppressors—foretelling a messiah who will punish evil-doers, bring peace, and strengthen Israel. It is a message of hope, faith, and patience—appealing to any oppressed group longing for a better future.

More than you need on Woke v.s. Awake:

Thanks ’ I’m sure you’re right about the etymological roots, but the implications of Republican politicians opposing those who are ‘awake’ might be a tad more problematic as presumably they’d be asleep!

1 Like

3 Likes

At least you saw what I did :black_cat:

The problem - and the reason it’s so easy to take the mickey - with people who claim to be woke us that it’s so obviously virtue-signalling, coupled with a implication that anyone else isn’t.

2 Likes

On the other hand, those who use the word woke as an insult often decline any opportunity to explain what they mean by it. I’m never sure if it’s because they can’t or perhaps they simply won’t because it exposes too much about themselves and their little dark hearts.

4 Likes

I think you’re right, @JohnH, especially when it’s people who want to stir up culture wars (usually as a distraction from how badly they’re running the country, but sometimes for even more sinister reasons).

I guess the problem is that calling yourself “woke” is just simplistic and lazy. Most people are against racism, sexism, bigotry and prejudice and were even before the 1970s, when black people generally started using “woke”.

4 Likes

It seems that calling someone or something ‘woke’ has been appropriated by the hate brigade to cover just about anything civil or evolved.

Woke belongs essentially to the Black Lives Matter issues and I wouldn’t wonder if the intended users get miffed about the appropriation to completely unrelated issues.

The term is now a handy soundbite word where another term or even a new and original one ought to be used instead. Unless of course, the targets decide they like the label ‘woke’. Much as the Impressionists turned a slur to their advantage in the 19th century.

1 Like

“Woke” was a term used by black people in first place, well before BLM. I wouldn’t normally cite Wikipedia as a source - and this article illustrates many of Wikipedia’s deficiencies - but it’s a summary: Woke - Wikipedia.

4 Likes

But in the general case people do not self proclaim as “woke”.

2 Likes

Well, Kathy Burke does, as you told us a few posts ago!

So let’s explore the options then - are you racist, intolerant of “other” be it religion, nationality, sexual orientation, skin colour, less than 100% able bodied…?

Because if you are not, and if (as Kathy suggests) you call these things out when you are able I’m afraid that you are “woke”.

And if you freely admit to those traits, well then…

Where does tolerance end and actively anti begin?
I am forced to see women all over the world subject to the religious domination of men.
The UK government has found it necessary to ban young girls being taken out of the country for a forced religious
Girls start to wear the hijab when they are too young to make their own decisions.
Thank goodness here in France the burqua is banned.
Please tell me where woke fits with all of this?

1 Like