The accordion in France!

Well, it must be me, but I lived for three years in Paris, eight years in the Lot and another eight years in the Jura, and now live in the home of the accordion - the Correze (Limousin), and never went without the sound of the accordion in all these places. I am not a great fan as an instrument, but for giving the ambiance of France there's nothing like it.

Paris is NOT France (and I am married to a Parisienne, who agrees, as do all her family),but away from the Metro there are hundreds of small cafes with accordion music playing. One of the best used to be one tucked away in the corner of the Antique Market in Coulaincourt (not the populace side). That was apparently a replica of a 1930's one, complete with a singer sounding remarkably like Piaf. There are also several near St. Sulpice and of course the left bank. I think you should get out more Jane?

Q): What's the difference between an accordion and a trampoline?

A): You take your boots off to jump on a trampoline...

It must be different areas. Here they are quite prolific. They are always at the tea dances but that is usually the chromatique. Since moving here and becoming interested in folk trad it is very common but usually the diatonique. In fact in the Indre in July (11 to 14) there is the Rencontres Internationales de Luthiers et Maîtres Sonneurs at Château D'Ars which is a big festival of not only traditional music but also stands with those who sell and make many of the old instruments. I love the sound of the diatonique and its great fun dancing.

My first real memory of the accordion was on the record "Where Do You Go To" by Peter Sarstedt in 1969. I heard it on the radio yesterday. Being a SOG I listen to RTBF Classic 21 - 60s on my internet radio.

In Paris, the only place that I've seen an accordion is in the metro.

I have my fathers accordion every christmas we were subject to all the old 30s and 40s songs but coming from a musicaly inlined family, dad played in a jazz band Gran played a piano and the church organ i play or did play in a brass band i quite enjoy listening to an accordian played well especially at a cafe sitting outside on a warm afternoon it gives a certain ambiance, many years ago i had French lessons from a guy who came from Limoges he once told me Paris wasnt France it took me a second to understand that he was saying Paris wasnt typical of the rest of France do not judge France by your experiences in Paris,2CVs are common here in fact a superb example lives across the road and its open season on anyone driving a Paris reg car for some of the locals

One definition of a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the accordion but doesn't!

Phil

LOL.......

I was told that the accordion was invented by the English and given to the French as a joke!

And they still haven't got it . . . .

I believe he is Belgian, according to my neighbours........whoops!! just googled him and it seems his father was Belgian but he was in fact born in Paris...sorry!

You don't often see good driving ;o) I sat aghast the other week in my car when I witnessed someone do a perfect parallel park. In fact I was so surprised I gave him a toot as I went past...lol

Don't forget the bread 'Baguette' and the Beret screwed on the head!

hey johnny is FANTASTIC!!! Ever been to one of his concerts??

ah ok maybe out where you live but here in Paris you only get a few guys playing a guitar and usually sing or trying in english.Another thing is when I sent a present over to the family most of the tshirts etc are printed in english on the front which is disapointing

The accordion is very popular here in Cantal and played at all the village events. I recently witnessed an accordionist play "Blue Suede Shoes" on the accordion - you've got to hear it to believe it. Even Johnny H is bearable after that !

Hahahaa that's gorgeous! My father in law, and sister in law are accordeon players so throughout ALL of my 18 years in France I have definitely had accordians in the background ;-) Dino (yes - Italian birth) started the Académie d'Accordéon des Alpes de Haute Provence and seduced my mother in law with his winning smile, sparkly eyes and nimble, musical fingers at a ball his orchestra was playing at.
So GUESS WHO had an orchestra of accordeon players at her wedding?? ;-)

Anyhoo - in general I agree with you but thought you might like the anecdote.
Have a great day all. NOW - I sooo want to buy a deuch!!!

;-)

Whats the old joke: "Why do Morris dancers wear bells?

So the blind can hate them too"

Cant escape accordion music in the Limousin :)

There's often an accordeon player in the market place here of a Saturday sometimes he has a chanteuse with him. Usually a cue to me to beat a swift retreat as with Morris dancers in UK.

there is often an accordian player or two in town on Saturdays (the main market day) here in Carcassonne. I love the sound

Shall we take the opportunity to list all of those other things that you never see in France. Onion Johnny for example? Actually I can't think of any more...

Over to you.