The end of Freesat (for BBC SD transmissions)

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a try once I’ve got the receiver plugged in - if it becomes necessary.

:laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

As the angle from the satellite is high up you should miss the Chateau building.

Nope, the chateau is a really tall building, it is behind the top of the roof.

1 Like

Can’t you get them to move it?

I know they are just selfish, selfish, selfish, just a little 6ft hole in the roof :yum::laughing:

1 Like

Bugger!

Managed to get up the ladder, ducking around and under cherry tree branches, with a bowl of water and a scrubbing brush, and changed the colour of my dish from a dirty dark to a much lighter cleaner shade of grey, scrubbing off areas of green organic growth as well.

Is it my imagination or has cleaning the dish sharpened the image? Looks much more crystal clear.

Signal strength and signal quality haven’t changed – both still about 80% or so. I think a slight amount of dish alignment is due as I get breaking up of images on some channels on this sunny cloudless afternoon.

Roll on that Freesat satellite receiver – hasn’t arrived yet but I have been emailed to say tomorrow’s the day!

My dish is pointing directly at an expanse of Bay tree, which looks small in the photo, but is in fact huge! High and dominating. Could that break up a satellite image?

If it directly in line, then yes it can.

1 Like

Luckily I can move the dish to another position on the side gable wall of my house and at a chimney level if needs be.

:yum::wink:

images-1

That would mean trespassing on neighbours’ property and around my way, you get to see shotguns in their eyes if you take liberties.

Pity that Bay trees are evergreen – bad reception in summer & winter – but good for wildlife, and cooking.

I really don’t think that’s going to help :laughing:

1 Like

Sounds like a right shitty job.

Shall have to catch up with my spelling! Or is it the old grey cells?

Could be worse. Could have been a chateau :slight_smile:

Well, easy-peasy! Followed the Freesat instructions carefully and it became a free flow journey. Used the offered default postal address and away we went! Am also connected to wifi with access to what, I don’t know yet.

Great picture – really impressed, despite initial quality of reception being labelled ‘poor’, but reception seems to vary, presumably due to weather conditions. No need to bother with a new LNB yet – the ancient one in place seems to be doing OK - and I can put the ladder away!

Currently there are 141 TV channels and 39 radio stations.

Time to explore!

Thanks for the advice one ‘n all…

3 Likes

It really does depend upon how far away the bay is and how high it is. I have a very tall tree right in my line of sight, but it’s far enough away (25m) to mean that this dish is oriented above it, so no problem.
If you look at the dishpointer website I posted above and enter your details, it will show you the elevation angle in degrees. This is the angle above the horizontal, where the dish points. Mine is 33.6 degrees. If you know how far away the bay is and approximately how high it is, and how high your dish is, you can use trig to find out if it’s in the way or not.
Looking at your picture of the dish, I think your biggest problem is the LNB skew as I described above. If the skew is not set correctly, this can affect your signal a lot. Before you do anything, set the LNB skew according to what the website says it should be.

According to DishPointer the skew should be -17.8°. Do I use the LNB spirit level to adjust the skew angle to -17.8°?

But I’ll do that when I get a new twin LNB, which I’ll need to record one programme while watching another. At the moment I can only record the programme I’m watching, so it would be worthwhile changing to a new twin LNB, with a spirit level. I have a redundant cable in place hanging unconnected on the dish frame. Been there for years!

And I’ll do some trigonometry and figure out if the bay trees are in the way. Thanks. At the moment, reception and clarity are amazing!