The land of the free and the home of the brave 🙄

I am very grateful living in France where political checks and balances happen by wearing a yellow vest, burning the occasional tyre or spreading muck in front of cityhall.

1 Like

Except when they shoot themselves!

Pity, the one legitimate use for them IMHO would be to mow down the bloody sangliers. That or mass poisoning, because casual hunting isn’t enough. There’s a WW problem.

A neighbour of mine was pushing his wheelbarrow up his garden when three big mothers trotted happily past him. They have no fear of humans. Having gone from originally feeling that they are an amusing part of the local flora and fauna, I now detest the creatures.

1 Like

The United States of America is a coalition of death cults masquerading as a country.(Jordan Klepper Sneaks Into America's Biggest Gun Show | The Daily Show - YouTube)

Ah, but they taste good

1 Like

But if you mow them down, there is not much left to eat. I really prefer the old fashioned hunting style of a ‘clean kill’
At least you have a nice roast to go with the veggies you are protecting.
Sanglier are a real.problem in Europe. Denmark is planning a border femce to Germany to protect their pork.production from swine fever. I am sure farmers in France are just as worried for their crops and livestock

Danish pork production is factory farming, they’re likely to get swine fever from contact with the ‘natural’ world. I really fail to understand why people in Continental Europe are shifting from eating battery chickens and eggs, yet are continuing to eat industrial pork (that’s my phrase, but that’s what we need to call it. Also, I’ve previously posted that whereas I was happy to eat lapin sauvage in the UK, I wouldn’t eat rabbit here because the conditons in which they are raised are so close to those of battery chickens.

1 Like

Across the World, US, Australia, Japan, Europe, you name it. Something will have we be done, but what? And then there’s swine flu too :scream:

They are to easy to get rid of

Don’t think that’s an apposite comparison with the French situation. During the initial Covid restrictions the sanglier population exploded, but because communes can decide on the number of kills in each season, eventually a balance will be re-established, and in the meantime we’ll have a few good communal feasts.

1 Like

Danish bacon is in every british supermarket as no sunday fry up would be complete without bacon.
We were lucky to find a small pork farmer who branched out onto producing amazing bacon and sausages. Grew his own feed and treated his livestock properly.
But he also was very worried that swine fever would get to Scotland and would have visitors walk through désinfection troughs before getting into the barns.
I very carefully select local producers and rather eat less meat nowadays.

1 Like

I’ve eaten daube several times but it’s a bit too strong for me. Though I’m not much of a meat eater these days, marcassin is more to my taste.

I once helped out a broken down cyclist on the road near us and he dropped around a sanglier haunch as a thank you. Very kind but
 :roll_eyes:

Us too.

If you’re ever in the Basque Country near Saint Palais I can recommend this place, it’s very rustic but they also have an excellent pork butchers all comes from the farm. I stocked up with cured ham and suassions last weekend.

https://g.co/kgs/euSZVR

Hmm. No bacon in mine for at least 50 years

4 Likes

Thanks, in return I’ll recommend the porc noir from Cambes near Figeac , but distributed quite widely across the SW. The flavour is as far from regular traditionally famed pork, as that is from the industrial stuff.

From firearms to food. :plate_with_cutlery:

Thanks Mark. I used to drive through Cambes on my way to Figeac before they finished the Cambes bypass less than 2 years ago. I don’t know how I missed it.

The Fontalbat Mazars boucherie on Figeac market usually have a pile of flavoursome porc noir chops from Cambes at a very reasonable price. We vac pac and freeze them and the flavour remains good. Their stall is in the bottom square down the LHS of the Tourist Office. Lots of other good things too and all the staff are big Gigi fans.

1 Like

No Danish bacon in my kitchen.

1 Like