The local Maire wants to compulsorily purchase my land!

It is not unknown for people in authority to abuse their power, especially as you are not resident. Just a thought.

It is hardly ā€˜just a thoughtā€™ it is an outrageous libel on the reputation of the Maire and you would do well to retract it.

@graham it looks to me like Jane is simply asking the question in an attempt to explore the reasons behind the demands made upon Geoff - hardly ā€˜outrageous libelā€™. You knew exactly what Jane was suggesting when you asked for clarification but felt the need to reprimand her nonetheless.

Constructive advice would be much more helpful than adopting, what I consider to be, a bullying tone. Not pleasant.

1 Like

Oh, I agree. Geoff has been given quality advice already and last I read is following up on a very positive suggestion so there is no need for me to try and improve on that.

Even less helpful is a suggestion that the Maire is somehow corruptā€¦

1 Like

Woooooahā€¦your words Grahamā€¦noone elsesā€¦

1 Like

One thing that might be relevant is that Geoff didnā€™t even recognise the mayor, presumably meaning that the two have never ever met. So from the mayorā€™s point of view, thereā€™s a piece of land with a building on it slowly falling into disrepair, probably not doing a lot to enhance the villageā€™s image, nobody taking any apparent interest in it and no obvious prospect of anything ever being done about it. If people are on at him he canā€™t keep ignoring it indefinitely.I imagine his intention was simply to rattle a cage to make something happen, and itā€™s worked. He must have assumed that the owner, whoever he is, has changed his plans and no longer wants the land otherwise he would be doing something with it, but if you were to come up with an alternative suggestion on how you intend to reclaim the land/barn and make it look a bit looked-after, Iā€™m sure heā€™d be delighted.
Could be that issue is: To you itā€™s a little plot of land in France, maybe you see it as an investment for yourself. To the village, itā€™s part of ā€œtheirā€ village, the village they take a pride in, thatā€™s being left to go to rack and ruin, and villages tend to not like that happening.

2 Likes

Hi Anna

Your points are valid - but the property was a ruin long before I bought it, and itā€™s in an unregarded, out-of-the-way place, a little way away from the town. You may be right about the Mayors intentions (I donā€™t want to speculate), but heā€™s certainly going a clumsy way about it. Iā€™ve talked to some of the locals, and I will consider their needs when I decide what to do
Geoff

Mayors arenā€™t always the most diplomatic of people :wink: but they are voted in because folks think theyā€™ll get things done.

Nahhhhhh I think most mayors in rural areas are voted in year after year because people generally donā€™t like change and very few of them want the job!! Better the devil etc etcā€¦

Simonā€¦

I can only recount my experiences in our part of France. Local elections are every 6 years. The turnout is very high. Those people who have received sufficient public votes to gain a seat, will make up the Local Council. The councillors alone decide who amonst them will be Mayor. It will not necessarily be the Name at the Head of the List, nor the person who gained most public votes. As soon as possible after the Local Election Results are announced, the newly elected councillors will have a meeting, at which they hold a secret ballot to choose the Mayor. The Mayor then appoints Adjoints and various responsibilities are shared amongst all the councillors.

The Mayors and councillors that I know, are hardworking and take their responsibilities very seriously.

If anyone has a genuine gripe about their Mayor or his council, they should speak up and, if still not happy, they can take matters to their Prefecture.

1 Like

Lovely Stella - all sounds very professionnel and democratic. Our village mayor has been in situ for nearly 24 years - not untypical in this area. Before him, his father had the honour.

Simonā€¦
When we first came, the son of a deceased Mayor was asked to stand for election, on the strength of his fatherā€™s reputation !

Phew, that was a real risk to my mind, as the son had only recently returned to the village of his birth (on retirement). In fact, it turned out very well. He too was an excellent Mayor, sadly dying towards the end of his tour.

Since then, we have fought very hard to elect only those we feel will continue the good works.

Do you have a high turnout at your elections ?
How come this guy gets elected if he is not doing the best for the communeā€¦?

Around 75-85ā„… (tot pop around 220, not sure about actual number of eligible voters but easy to look up) - really high.

I suggest you find a good lawyer, just because the Maire thinks heā€™s god, heā€™s not and heā€™s subject to the law. I had a Notaire that tried to rail road me a few years ago and I saw a lawyer who put him in his place and I had no trouble after and I didnā€™t have to sell my land as I was told Iā€™d have to do by my notaire who really stitched me up.
Best 240 euros Iā€™ve spent in France to date in 15 years, best of luck and donā€™t let the bastard bully you into anything you donā€™t want to do. Best of luck.

2 Likes