The madness of Passwords

Yeah unfortunately in a lot of places they went overboard with the requirements for a password… at least at work we have sane requirements: your pass-(word|phrase) has to be 20 characters long, and that’s really all there’s to it.

(And yes, 20 because we pretty much get people to use password managers which can generate and store 20 character passwords quite easily :D)

1 Like

I worked with a girl who was one of none identical IVF twins but they could unlock each other’s phones with facial recognition

1 Like

That’s because for all intents and purposes, facial recognition is dumb. What it does is it records features on your face as points, and sets up a mesh that represents your face. Now, same as with voice recognition, there has to be an allowance for error - perhaps you frowned more when it was set up, or perhaps you got stung by a bee and have a fat cheek, so it’s not 100% accurate. That means that anyone with similar facial features and skin tone ends up having more or less the same mesh.

That’s also why it can be fooled by holding up a picture to it.

It’ll get better, in the future, undoubtedly - but for now it’s one of those things I like to lump under the heading of “security theatre” - it looks really good, but if you look closely you see it’s got plenty of flaws that mean it’s not that silver bullet people think it is .

2 Likes

OH had a similar problem with them a few days ago. She changed her password to something more secure which subsequently didn’t work. Had to change it again and no probs now. She was getting rather angry at the time :rage:

1 Like

I’m a bit of a heathen when it comes to all this security…I only have one app on my phone and that’s for my bank…the rest of the “space” is taken up by photos…x :slight_smile:

My son has just about everything on his phone but one time when he was here and helping me out…he got a polystyrene filler all over his thumb and his phone didn’t recognise for him for a while…x :smiley:

I’m a bit disturbed by the social crediting system currently rolling out in China…???

I don’t know why I have such a problem with Amazon Chris…it’s been going on since early 2016…since just before I moved here in fact …I was trying to order an item to bring with me and that’s when having forgotten it I had to try and reset my password…their system recognises I have an account but in spite of countless attempts I’ve not been able to reset it…they tell me they’ve sent an email with instructions but I don’t get them in my inbox nor my spam folder…

I’m not particularly bothered as I now use local suppliers and sometimes eBay…but it does puzzle me where their password reset emails are going to…???

1 Like

Yeah, that’s some serious 1984 shit happening there - I hope it’s not going to give politicians in Europe any ideas…

1 Like

Me too…I’d be reluctant to leave this current existence thinking that my kids and grandkids (and all the world’s children) were left here to deal with that…

Apparently she got so pissed off the only way round it was to use a different email address and start a new account. Never had any problems with them before. It’s a mystery…

1 Like

I’ve seriously considered that…setting up a new email and setting up a whole new account but then I’d have even more passwords to try and remember…lol…x :smiley:

I actually do this - or rather, I have my own domain name for email, and literally anything@thatdomain.com will end up in my inbox, so for sites that I feel may be dodgy I usually use sitename@mydomain.com as a username - just so I can see if they ever sell their customer data to shady parties.

It also means it’s easy to whip up a new account :smiley:

Use Firefox…FREE…remembers passwords…yes, you can see them if you want…

I think most browsers remember passwords.

Chrome also offers it, but with tighter integration to Google. In the end it just boils down to preference for a browser I guess :slight_smile:

All “current” ones do. There’s also plenty of extensions to do it for you and have different levels of integration with other services and devices, but the built-in ones are good enough for most “average” users :slight_smile:

I’m with you, Norm. It seems with most things, we’re there to suit their convenience. And because someone has set it all up to run automatically, no-one can fix it when things go wrong.

I use LastPass, as others on here do. The advantage is you have only one password to remember, so as long as you pick a good one you’re okay. A phrase is a good option, because it’s memorable and you could write it down somewhere and it might not be obvious what it is. Maybe the title of a favourite book - that one by Ken Kesey springs to mind!

Bon courage!

People are saying that most browsers remember passwords, but their memories often differ from mine and my long-term lists in my address book!

1 Like

Well, they only remember what you tell them to so if you change a password somewhere, they may not update it if they aren’t aware it got updated. Chrome got better at his, Firefox is excellent for it.

Of course, if writing them down in an address book works for you, then by all means continue! Just make sure nobody gets a hold of your little black book of secrets :wink:

I was told a few years ago now to pick a poem, song or favourite piece from a book, choose a line as password, in this way obviously providing you don’t go round quoting said piece, you can use aid memoirs, eg line 1 etc, who will know. If the site insists on variations that’s just as easy really; line1 with numbers eg, pa55w0rd or line1 with upper case. I find this really easy and the poem I use is not really a favourite, just one I remember from school days. All this can be extended to use other lines too.

1 Like

John le Carré would be proud of you Roderic. In earlier time you might have ended up in Bletchley Park :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you John that’s quite a compliment sir.