The Suspense!

I agree, and I loathe this culture that’s all about spin and tactics and manipulation.
If only we could rip up the “meeja” and start afresh, and set up clear, honest channels of communication whose only purpose was to inform and explain.
There used to be a difference between “news” and “propaganda” but I think the word “propaganda” has become completely redundant, because all news now seems to be written with an agenda in mind.
Sadly I don’t see it happening in my lifetime.

1 Like

Actually the costs are not as bad as often people think I have full world wide travel insurance and I have a chronic illness and it costs me around £160 for the year through my bank. I’m covered for my chronic illness and for having had a heart attack. So it not always as bad as it seems

1 Like

@anon27586881 you should watch the ads on UK TV plugging the “reasonable health insurance for travel irrespective of pre-existing conditions”. If they are to be believed, seems you can get cover for barely being alive, or on the brink of collapse :wink:

Gilly, I feel your pain, my Husband and I bought a place in January, at the time just a few weeks from the first Brexit deadline. It was a scary time and we bought very much on a whim and just went for it we didn’t plan or anything we just saw our future in this home and just went for it. It was only €15,000 so the gamble had a limit of loss for us we can afford to bare. But we figured the worst outcome could be we can only ever live in it 6 months in any year. And we can live with that. We hope to move out permanently in just over 4 years time. We will face whatever hurdles appear one by one, but people from all over the world move to France all the time so we know it’s more than possible. I’m fortunate that I am a fairly well paid Civil Servant with a good pension which even if I take it at early 55 will still meet the minimum requirements for third country income, covering the couple requirement for my husband and I.

For you much is going to depend on your risk appetite and personal financial situation. Property prices are pretty low in France (and will never make you a fortune on resale) but, if you are able to meet the minimum financial requirements and have a fairly healthy risk appetite then why not go for it.

My guess is Brexit is not going to get over the line. So all will be well in the world in time :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

and if that doesn’t work there are plenty of funeral plans adverised :wink:

Yup, when you’ve gotta go, you’ve gotta go :joy:

Yup, when you’ve gotta go, you’ve gotta go, when you’ve gotta come, you’ve gotta come. :smiley:

1 Like

If the previous conflicting and uncertain posts don’t convince you of the likely costs of Brexit then consider the multitude of hidden costs. What will happen re mobile phones? Importing cars (will VAT be payable? Will it even be possible?) Paying duty/declaring gardening equipment for your holiday home ? The cost of extended visas?

There are many “unknown unknowns” in Brexit, but I doubt any of them will be good for us.

1 Like

I agree Guy. For instance, if you run a business here exporting to the UK as we do? We are looking at at least customs control and then custom tariffs making life more expensive, less lucrative and more difficult. That may impact our income which in turn will impact our right to live here. The only notification we have had is from La Poste to say we will have to fill in Customs forms - nothing else from anyone. The way forward for us is murky to say the least. We are the forgotten Brits. Shame on that mob in Westminster.

Oh I forgot! What about if you do Antiques Fairs in the UK with stock from France, getting through customs with brocante will be a nightmare!!

The risk is that Britain crashes out, the economy tanks, the pound falls abruptly and you can no longer afford the dream house. But it’s a bit late to advance a purchase now. So you should reconcile yourself to the possibility that you may need to wait quite a while before things stabilise.

Can I ask what the maximum period of cover away from the UK is over the year and for any one trip within the year? Many policies can be quite restrictive in that regard.

You won’t know if you have made a good move until you have been in a place for a year. So why not rent something for a while and take time to have a good look around? By then, hopefully Brexit will be settled (one way or another) and you will be in a good position to make a decision.
When buying, you may get a better deal by going to the local Notaire, who will have details of local properties that never get into Estate Agents windows. Unlike the UK, properties here can remain unsold for many years and there are bargains to be had if you aren’t in a hurry.
We have been here for 17 years, during which time the value of the Pound has fallen by about a third against the Euro. That’s something to think about if your income comes from the UK. It could go either way, nobody can predict the future. Having said that, we have no regrets, our life here is still better than it would have been if we had remained in the UK.
Final thought - it is easier to move to France than to go back to the UK, so if you change your minds after a few years it could turn out to be a costly mistake.