The training of Opie (Oprah)

Very sorry to hear your sad news David. What a good time you were able to give Opie.
We asked the vet for our dog’s ashes. 2 weeks sounds about right. We sprinkled them in a place in the garden and planted a creamy, bushy rose there to remind us of him, a shaggy labrit.

:cry:

Thanks to all, I knew it wouldn’t be for long when we adopted her, and, as a serial elderly dog adopter, I am well used to it, but it still is a mixture of sadness and joy. I didn’t want to pick out any one of your comments but this one really chimes with my own view. Dogs know, as do all animals, that they are programmed to seek safety, but they have no idea of death as such and, as long as it isn’t painful, it holds no terrors.
Half yer luck Opie. :joy:
I envy you.

5 Likes

Oh David!
I’m so sorry to read of your loss.
Sincerest condolences.

Sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our cat in May and it took a few weeks to get his ashes back. I think that’s quite normal.

So sorry to hear this, it’s never an easy time as you know, I never let knowing this is going to happen put me off having pets, I look at ours and know they have a better life and longer life than if we hadn’t adopted them.
I have a provision in my will for them as I will go before them and want them to have happy lives, you do a great thing giving rescue dogs a home, you should be very proud of the fact that they end their lives with such a kind and thoughtful owner :sunglasses::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Not sure about proud, it works both ways, but if a little bit of selfishness helps, and I do get a helluva lot out of the bargain, then so be it. :grinning:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about Opie, @David_Spardo.

Anyone who’s spent more than 30 seconds reading your posts or watching your videos will be in no doubt those were the happiest 8 months of her life.

5 Likes

Thank you, the very first day or two set the scene, the subject of that early video, when from far away she looked up and came lolloping crookedly towards me. :joy:

She spent most of her time following me around, I had to walk out of the room when the aides were here, just to get her out from under their feet.
And at night she often forsook the comfortable settee to lie alongside my bed on that thin, hard mat.
The floor felt a bit empty this morning.

5 Likes

Lovely that you have the video to remember her by.

Yes, I might well be wearing that out before long I think. :rofl:

1 Like

So sorry to hear this David, she was do sweet xx

1 Like