There's a new sheriff in Forex Town!

We ended up with a far lower rate, so were very disappointed too.

I agree about EU regs, Roger, 'tho the piffling amounts they insist on info from is getting rediculous....used to that....

We had already provided requested ID checks on opening the account, so if this company knows it requires further ID confirmation checks when larger sums for transfer is involved, why don't they do that in the first instance? Just as we found on here, we can't up-load pics, we don't have a fax facility, etc. we have what is now considered old mobile phones and computer, etc....so to comply with the extra ID requests of copy documents, etc, made THREE days after being told by what we now know is automated mail that the transfer is proceeding at such-and-such rate, really slowed things. We had to dash to the Mairie for them to fax the company, and three times the line failed, same when we went into our larger town to the Post Office, three line connect failures to their fax, and of course by this time they weren't taking calls and our mails went silent too. We finally managed to send copy documents through by a kind Notaire we had had dealings with, who kept trying without us having to be there.....

A complete nightmare of stress, given our urgent circumstances by then, and to top it all we had a lower rate of exchange on the day, costing us, rather than the previous week (and yes, we know the small print of variation, but then why mail with the rate agreed and that all is complete?!)

So although we haven't been able to fault them for small exchanges, we would never recommend them for larger, so wouldn't overall recommend them to anyone now.

David, my near neighbour I referred to was transferring substantial amounts, and yes, he was asked for ID, but I think this is necessary under EU Regulation. Once the paperwork was in place things moved fast for him!

We 'found' Transferwise on SF, and set up an account with them, mainly for regular smaller amounts from UK....it was when we had a large sum to transfer here that it went horribly wrong! Extra ID wanted, confirmation mails of transfer at a rate given, then nothing for days on an important legal transaction....all in all they were suddenly unhelpful, then failed to reply to concerns, etc. The money can just in time to complete an auction purchase. Have used them for two small transfers since and back to 'normal', but can't in all honesty recommend them for large amounts. On another net site someone said they'd received an apology from them, from Estonia, complete with a bar of chocolate written with an apology....different but doesn't inspire confidence!

Maureen

Over the years I have built up a small "reserve" in my French bank to allow for mishaps and unexpected demands. Obviously that depends on circumstances but maybe an idea to consider to ease the stress.

I also transfer regular small amounts rather then 1 large amount each month again to minimise risk from delays or other factors.

T/wise are under the regulated by the FCA so in theory your money will be replaced if say T/wise go pear shaped but the delay would be months if not years.

But I have the impression that they are growing very fast and maybe the admin is creaking at the joints.

Since T/wise are a sponsor the SFN ????, perhaps James should try and get an explanation for us all.

I agree with everything that has been said Roger but still I hesitate.

I have used TransferWise for almost two years. There was one occasion when I experienced a delay, which was down to me. Otherwise all of my 20+ transfers have been fast, efficient and at the best rate possible. Last Monday it went through within the day at €1.4121. All of my previous experiences took anything up to a week to complete. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending TransferWise - my near neighbour is a convert, because even when his first attempt was delayed by problems with his UK account, Transferwise came up trumps and his cash was in his French account the same day. He is quite literally 'over the moon' with the speed, the excellent rates, and the totally transparent charges.

Howard - you are right there. I'm feeling pretty unsettled.

There has been a lot of chatter on various sites on the net about delays with using Transferwise. If you have good experiences so far, the horror stories are unsettling.

Thanks for all your kind words. Peter - I was emailing them constantly and they kept assuring me it was being dealt with but then each day passed and still no money. Online it kept saying 'waiting to convert funds'. I was within minutes of cancelling the transfer when 'whoopy do' I got an email confirming transfer of money. I was mighty relieved. I am having to transfer money next week and am thinking doI/don't I? As I said the previous times no problems.

We use them all the time, and the money arrive in no time! :slight_smile:

Maureen

I have never had a problem with T/Wise even when I got things ass about faced.

My recent experience is that money paid into their account in the morning is in my French bank account t the following morning.

But I do understand the stress it causes when money goes "missing" so do you know what the problem was and have you called them and sought an explanation? I have always found them very helpful.

As an aside, I always log each part of the transaction, from the initial money transfer command from my bank to theirs, their acknowledgment, copy of the final deal and etc so that I have "proof" I did what I claim I did. Never been needed so far but then for a few temporary data records on my PC, who cares.

If I can help you further, let me know.

I used them last week and the money was in the french account the same evening.

I have used TransferWise a number of times without any problems until the last time. What had normally been a straightforward transfer, taking no more than a day, took 6 days with a lot of worry that it would not happen at all. In the end we had to transfer more money using a different company at not a very good rate. I am worried about using them again.

My solicitor in the UK told me to move back to the UK about 4 years ago! Mind you can I have the other advantages I get here on what my income and expenses would be? Never mind the cost of moving! At my age (70 this year) if you amortize the cost of going back over likely life span it doesn't look like a very sensible investment. I reckon the cost of moving to be about £20k. That's why house cold callers ask your age- over 70 the down hill slope is getting pretty slippery! I should say that my daughter is getting a free education here and that is something I do need to (so far) thank France for. I don't believe that the UK has to pick up any of that.

David

Yes, I have just run some numbers thru my tax model using the tax rates for 2013 and:

An increase of 12.9% in exchange rates (1.24 to 1.40) increases my Euro income by 12.9% also but my tax liability by 22.2%! Obviously everyone's experience will be slightly different so don't get hung up on the precise values but it illustrates what you were saying very clearly.

And as you say makes my home less "expensive" to Brits moving here but limits what sort of house I could buy in the UK.

I normally use Smart Currency on a standing order every two months but it can take up to 4 days to reach my French bank two weeks ago i needed money urgently so did a transfer with TransferWise the exchange rate was only a few € difference but the money was in my bank in 7 hours

Thanks Peter- food for thought. Mind you I am caught in the trap that any increase in income in euros caused by the euro's fall is immediately taxed by Bercy so in that sense at least France gains from the euro's down slide. Anybody selling property in France now and exchanging back into other currency is looking at a sizeable loss. House prices around us in Brittany are still at the very best stable and probably falling. A few more Brits are now appearing but not buying expensive houses. You are not looking at Spanish style losses though.

David

On my experience with TransferWise and given the Interbank Rate was 1.4114 (average for the day) then I would have got 1,404 Euros on Friday.

That suggests that Torfx does not deliver such good value at least on that day.

By chance, on Thursday 12th I transferred £1K and received 1,402 Euros.

Steve: Thanks, I understand now what you are saying. I have used TransferWise ever since it was announced on this board and that has never happened at least on the £ vs Euro rate, which is the only one I use for obvious reasons, and thus regard it as a purely administrative "cover my ass" condition.

For what it's worth I did £1 k with Torfx on Friday and got 1372 euros