Think twice before installing a new oil boiler thay may be illegal in 10 years

Could almost be the one I am thinking of… :thinking:

Memory is vague as our visit was several years ago… but that project got our whole group trying to figure out how/if it would/could work in other areas of France…

There is radon in this area too.

As for my neighbours installation I couldn’t tell you if he has any issues, not sure that he would ‘broadcast’ it either as he is in business with his father and they do a lot of work for the commune too !

Very late reply but we just had an estimate of €12,000 for a new wood pellet boiler with the needed accessories. We already have the rads. Only one company but I suspect it’s not far off of others’ devis from what I’ve read. There are apparently as of January ‘19 several large forms of help with this which we are looking into now. There’s a new public advice service explaing how to get the grants/tax credits, etc - we were advised by the company to have a look at it:
https://www.faire.fr

1 Like

There are certainly some Gov financial incentives… but you do need to ensure that the correct path is followed…

good luck…

Be vary careful that whatever system/company you choose is on the accredited list or you will not get any rebate …
Also be aware that those on the accredited list will generally hike their prices knowing that you may get a rebate.
I had 4 devis before I choose my guy, he wasn’t on the accredited list but his prices and service were the best of the four, at the end of the day it worked out less than if I had chosen an accredited company !
PS I stayed with oil as the cost of changing over to another system was far too high !

1 Like

Thank you. I was aware the company had to be accredited and indeed the one we’ve spoken to is - she’d given me the price before she knew I was interested in the schemes available but I think we should look elsewhere for another, too. I almost fainted when I saw the price so we may not go with wood pellet at all, in spite of oil being phased out in 10 or 15 years. The trouble is, there are few reasonable alternatives that we are aware of. Any suggestions welcome!

I’m looking into the possibility of just changing the burner and adding an automatic pellet feeder…to the existing boiler/CH system.

That’s what I’m looking at, Stella - €12,000!

Wow… glad you’ve told me that… I have the idea but not the cost… mmm

back to the drawing board… :roll_eyes:

I haven’t gone into any research because I stayed with fuel for financial reasons, but I am not sure what the safety regulations are of leaving an empty oil tank (mine is in the sous sol) are … :thinking:

Mm… interesting… our house had been empty for 8 years and the oil tank empty (in the sous sol) even longer. No-one batted an eye lid. So perhaps there is no problem.

However, another property, which had been the village garage… the Notaire insisted that the buried tanks were emptied, cleaned and filled with sand… (all according to regulations.) before the Sale went through…

Different chemicals involved, so be interesting to find out more

Well, we don’t have that either so we’re going to apply for the grants and if we get enough we’ll go ahead. Perhaps this is a route you could try, as well.

Katherine… you get nothing until you have spent… that is my very rough understanding…

I think you and I need to get a lot more information before putting pen to paper… and signing any devis… :wink::thinking:

1 Like

Katherine you have to pay for all the work first. Once you have your bill you then declare it on your next years impôts and if its approved you get a rebate, not before !

Stella, agreed to a point. But you can’t start the work at all until you submit the devis and accompanying applications. We’re looking into exactly how it works. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

Misty, that’s not my understanding so far - for the impots, sure, but the grants are different. As I’ve said to Stella, I’ll keep you all posted on what we discover as we delve into it.

2 Likes

As I have said before the companies that are accredited do hike their prices.
The prime seems to be a maximum of 3,000 euros depending on certain conditions that you meet.
Have found this …It seems to depend on resources of income, so not everyone is eligible…
Look forward to seeing how you get on Katherine, good luck :slight_smile:

https://www.quelleenergie.fr/coup-de-pouce

Well i suppose that is one way of bumping the economy.

Paul, I also have cast iron rads in the UK, on a conventional gas boiler I hasten to add. Not really a fan of radiated heat as it doesn’t work very well at that frequency. I have some tangential fans from ex tumble dryers that draw the cooler air from the floor and cause circulation of the radiators heat into the room. this warms the whole room much quicker giver a far better comfort level.
Commercial companies are now tapping into this market, wondered how it would fare on your system?
https://www.radbooster.com/technical

Do Not entertain the nasty object that sits on top of the radiators (ex dragons den) useless piece of junk that actually lessens the effect by obstructing the normal passage of warmed air.

Hi I am just getting quotes to replace my old oil boiler. I wonder now having seen this article if the €7k would be better spent on an alternative form of heating for a holiday home? Anyone had experience of electrical storage heaters in France?