Thinking of digging an étang

Hi Stella, we were required by law to empty the larger lakes every so many years (can’t recall how many) in order to capture and sort out the fish population. Certain fish were not allowed to be mixed with others. For that, we were required to build a holding tank at the exit point of the lakes. A real hassle.

That hapened to my neice and husband, quite a lot of work and expense.

Good heavens above! I’m rapidly going off this whole idea.

Sounds like a bit of a problem. If your field is lower than the ditch it’s no wonder you get flooded. If there is no river or stream feeding/leaving the proposed etang then it is doubtful that the water authorities will need to be notified, probably just the mayor’s office. It certainly sounds like an interesting project . Are you planning on lining the etang to keep it full during the summer and how deep will you make it? - depending on how much you have to dig out you could use the soil to level up the surrounding area. My etang is about 40m by 15m and 2 to 3m deep - with a weir on the outlet that discharges into a small river around the property. The area behind it that floods is about twice the size, but if I put in a perforated drain I can discharge that to the same river so I am fortunate enough not to need pumps.

1 Like

It will be in the boring text when it changes from a pond to something altogether more work as an Etang. Thats the bit you need to know before taking it further I would have thought.

1 Like

It’s also clay on top of sandstone so in very wet winters most of the surrounding fields have areas where the water table just breaks through and in bad winters forms lakes or streams.

As long as it doesn’t turn into a night mare :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There seem to be indications that a mare/[plan d’eau of up to 10 sq m doesn’t require any authorisation but above that some form of authorisation is needed. Still best to check with the Mairie though and I shall be off to do just that in a couple of days’ time :smiley:

3 Likes

yes… it’s every 4 years around here, with or without fish, I think

always best to check, before undertaking anything and/or spending any money :wink:

2 Likes

And of course every department has different rules and regs at any given time.

2 Likes

That surprises me after @Corona’s remark prompted me to read @Peter_Bird’s link. That is very small, my own swimming pond is only 7 metres long but would be around 21 sq.metres. :astonished:

As I said before,it never occurred to me that it would incur any reporting and a friend and neighbour on the council stood chatting to me over the fence (he was hunting mushrooms) when it was finished and said nothing. Mind you he did the same when I built a shed that I later realised was a tad too large. :wink: I had the feeling then that he was reporting back because he didn’t normally walk down the lane just to chat, but nothing was said about it.

Sounds worse the more information you post! From the other posts it looks like you might have a major issue creating any sort of water containing area. The only other solution I can think of would be to landscape the area that usually floods to reduce it in size and use the excavated soil to raise the surrounding land. While you would not strictly be creating a pond. lake or whatever, (as the lower ground would only flood in winter and dry out in summer) it would claim back some of your field.

1 Like

Pretty much what I would be tempted to do, I wonder if that might not be considered as legally creating a lake. :thinking:

After I check with the Mairie, if there really is a size limit before getting permission, I wonder if I could have a series of smaller ponds and link them together :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

The same thought crossed my mind. :grin:

1 Like

Like pooling your resources?

4 Likes

Best to ponder the question first.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t bank on it happening.

2 Likes

But don’t ditch the idea

3 Likes