Thoughts on democracy

The majority of the Tory Party are moderates and can’t stop Johnson, those that do speak out get kicked out. If you think things are bad now just wait to see what happens if the Tories under Johnson get a working majority.

1 Like

He is just a mouth piece though.

1 Like

I agree he’s there primarily just to get Brexit through but he is popular in the country and I can’t see him just giving up.

Just get it done! One quick vote and it will be over - won’t it?!

No, the other end!

As an outsider and keen observer, I do find it amazing that with such an important issue as the Exit from the Eu, the referendum was not a compulsory vote. In fact only 72% as I understand bothered to vote on such an important issue for the country. I understand that there were always going to be people who could not get to the polling booths etc…but surely postal votes should be available. Clearly there will be a % of “Donkey votes” but surely they would be in the minority. With such an important issue on the table I believe that it is incumbent on all “able” voters to actually do so. I also support Jane’s argument that compulsory voting should be in place for all elections…it is too important an issue to simply say…" why should I bother…the result is clear". No wonder the rest of the world looks on the current British system with a degree of disdain. Perhaps it could also be prudent to consider a ‘preferential voting’ system, where votes for the non major parties may still have an impact. I continue to watch with interest and curiosity…

2 Likes

“Oven-ready Brexit deal”?

I just hope it’s in the fridge, that someone has an eye on the use-by label, and no-one has taken the lid off to take a sniff…

I do hope this nugget of an idea will be picked up by some journo between now and voting day…and I shall expect to be credited if it does!

“Democracy”…I’ve heard of that
Not sure it exists still in the UK
No doubt someone will correct me on this

1 Like

It’s the “Will of the people” …haven’t you been listening ?:thinking::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

How about “Winner Takes All”? That seems to be the modern interpretation of democracy: a sophisticated and ancient principle of popular engagement in the processes of government.

I know Dinner Party Rules are sometimes interpreted to mean almost everything has to be reduced to the level of the kindergarten, or people get fidgetty.

But politics and government calls for mind-stretching thought, well-marshalled facts and rigorously tested ideas. Writ large in the public consciousness, intelligently and passionately pursued, and with good humour and respect.

We get what we deserve. Boris in a limply choreographed and arse-licking Trumpian masquerade on the first day of the election campaign. What a farce. It makes me ashamed to be asked about by the French.

I find it more amazing that such an important constitutional matter would not have needed a two thirds majority to effect change.
However, this was not really an exercise in democracy, it was to appease the Tory extreme right wing.

2 Likes

I have been saying since the referendum that a result within 10-15% should not have resulted in a definitive leave/ remain ,but a review of what people’s concerns were and actions to resolve them

2 Likes

Particularly in that it was ‘an Advisory referendum’ and not absolutely binding…trust Cameron to stuff that up…