Tough meat

French supermarket curry powder is an insult to taste buds. Most curry powder is a bit grim but French curry powder (and German curry powder) is the pits.

9 Likes

A race to the culinary bottom with the Spanish.

2 Likes

Curry powder is just wrong full stop, no matter where you get it. It is universally made from poor quality spices. I’ve really got into making curries in the last few years and there is no substitute for fresh spices, it makes a world of difference.
Last year I grew my own coriander for leaf and seed. It grows like a weed, evidenced by the fact I now have copious amounts of it already in the garden. This year it’s cumin and ginger. In the autumn I’ll do garlic. Next year, who knows.
As for slow cooking beef, we use the pressure cooker. Shin or skirt in the UK with shallots and a few black pepper corns. Not sure what the equivalent cuts are in France

4 Likes

Ah…but Spain has smoked paprika.

2 Likes

At least you didn’t say each of these spices must be dry-fried “just so” in a pan reserved for the purpose, each spice to its own level of done-ness, then carefully ground under a full moon :slight_smile: before being blended.

That’s one thing about the UK - you have a choice of curry powder. Especially if you’re lucky enough to live in an area where there are a lot of ethnic cooks.

We also grow curry leaves, lime leaf and turmeric. But sometimes life is just too short so we reach into this cupboard

1 Like

Curry Powder - such a thing does not really exist in if you’re after ethnic flavours. A mix of the different spices, ideally freshly ground, is the way to go. It really is not that difficult. Different mixes for different type of dishes, e.g., a “madras” dish is going to have a different mix than say, a korma.

Happy to provide a recipe or two of mine - however, it will not be the same as indian restaurant types of curries, mine are from my family and also customised to my own tastes.

Yogesh

2 Likes

Well, I do dry fry the spices before grinding, but I’m not that anal about it.

Nearly as bad as “Herbes de Provence” :slight_smile:

We do use Patak’s tikka masala paste as a shortcut in some dishes though.

Hi Yogesh, I would love to try a few of your recipes. I started off doing BIR style curries, but now I do recipes all from scratch, as I found they were so much better.

1 Like

Yes, I use Pataks balti paste :+1:, but mainly for Bombay Aloo or just to add a bit of spice to a non curry dish.

I do actually buy most of my spices. I try to use whole spices where I can and roast and grind them. If tumeric is easy to grow, I’ll try that next year. Growing the spices myself is a great fusion between two of my recently acquired hobbies of making curries and growing food.

Maybe this should be a new thread? I’m sure many will have favorites to share?

1 Like

That advert, showing they moved to the UK around 1950’s still cant make it taste anything like it should though. Might be acceptable but not how it should be.
I had a stand at the ideal home show a few years back and Atul Kotchhar was next door, he cooked with about 3 spices from his tiffin tin and the food was fabulous. Keep meaning to visit one of his restaurants, such a gentleman to.

I’m lucky enough to work with a Goan lass. She enjoys my Thai style food but gently takes the mick out of my curries. :smiley:

She still eats and enjoys them though. :smiley:

1 Like

I do like curry and was wondering why I can’t get enough ‘bite’, might have a dip into that online store one day that @JaneJones recommended. :smiley:

Indeed it does - and them some. The spice stalls in VLC Mercado Central are just fab. And the veg stalls sell all sorts of herbs, great bins of basil, rosemary, thyme, sage - the lot. A very large bunch of coriander/cilantro is 1€. When you buy fish or other seafood, a bunch of parsley is always included.

*VEGETARIANS LOOK AWAY NOW*.

The Spanish and the pig. It’s more than just a source of food, like chicken or lamb. It’s a cultural identifier. I have to say, roast suckling pig is one of my faves. Junior here would be ideal for a big family fiesta.

And this lot is just in an everyday supermarket.

“Is not meat señorita. Is 'am”

1 Like

Sucking pig is heaven, my alas now-retired butcher the wonderful m. Lezin used to get me them.

Fried mustard seeds to start with usially does the trick and with the ginger to.

I’ll give it a try :wink: