Tour De France 2021 - SPOILER ALERT!

Remember some of us don’ have a shop with a TV so are restricted to watching highlights at 8pm…

But yes a good win…

1 Like

I watch it live on my phone when I can’t watch the télé, SFR have a great app giving you direct access to télé/TNT :wink:

I like watching the different parts of France as the Tour goes through.

1 Like

The coverage on France 3 and 2 is getting better and better. The helicopters provide amazingly smooth views over the countryside and the race. And none of the commentators are annoying! This year they have introduced silent moments where you have no commentary and can just watch. I like the Velo Club programme after the race too, which is good for catching up with what happened if you missed it.

1 Like

We were very lucky when we lived in the Aude and it often came close - one year only a couple of kms from our village. Sadly we missed it coming through here the year before we arrived, our village hosted the trails, the whole village was decorated (and won a jersey for it as best village or something like that). My neighbour painted 150 old bikes :rofl:

Not been close enough to go to, even this year Libourne is an hour away. Hopefully it will swing back this way another year.

I watch it on ITV4, but Wimbledon is starting today as well.

I live just below the Col du Tourmalet, so the race literally passes my back door. But given that we’re on quite a steep hill, I’ll have to walk 20m or so to be able to actually see the riders as they pass by.
We’re also on a straight, so I might ride my own bike up the hill a bit to watch them on a bendy bit.

3 Likes

Are you La Mongie side or Barèges side @DoctorDee ?

La Mongie, so they’ll be sweating!

Yes that’s the worst side to go up!!

1 Like

What can I say…but ouch!

Sad to see Caleb Ewan go.

Just looked at this (rather eccentric) man’s site as he is cycling the whole route behind/ahead of the peleton to raise money for charity. So no long train/plane/coach rides between stages, which adds on some 2000km but aiming to get to Paris at same time. Nuts! But quite charming too…

https://alttour.ef.com/

1 Like

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: Just amazing :sunglasses::+1:

I”m loving his normality…he”s lost his arrogance and seems truly appreciative of his team. Good for him.

1 Like

Watched them race by 4 times. Cahors, Monbazillac, Corse (twice) and Eymet (start). The Corse one was, for us, the most fraught because we were booked into a campsite south of Bastia and flew into Ajaccio only 3.5hours before the race was due to go by the campsite. Car hired, fully expecting the road to be closed, but we got to the campsite with an hour to spare - perfect. This was the first stage of the 100th Tour and as the peleton went past us we heard that a bus had got stuck under the finishline arch.

This is my definition of getting carried away by competitiveness! Otherwise he is insane!!

News today of Simon Clarke, the 34-year-old Australian, who it turns out broke his back in a crash on stage three and has just been cycling through it.

“I suffered the fracture on stage three and until yesterday I’ve been able to hide it and fight it pretty good and kept it under wraps but yesterday it became clear I wasn’t able to push on,” he told Cycling Weekly. “I suspected straight away that I had done some damage to my back and had an x-ray straight after the stage but it didn’t show up as x-rays aren’t accurate enough. I pushed on but after the Ventoux stage I understood that something wasn’t right and we organised for a CT scan and the fracture on the L4 showed up.

“It’s painful, yeah. It’s a stable fracture so I’m not doing any damage to it and I can push through it but I can’t wait until Paris, to be honest. I can still ride. It’s not pretty, but why not keep going? We’ll look back when I retire and I don’t want to say, ‘well, why would I just throw the towel in like that?’ Why not go to Paris?”

3 Likes

Just caught up on the next steps dealing with the spectator who caused the crash on stage 1.

1 Like

Wow! How’s that for follow up! (I mean your follow-up @JaneJones , though it could apply to the authorities too) Suspended hey? Not from a rope I presume. Do people think this is about the right dispensing of the case / verdict?