Typing French Accents

After trying several options, including the Canadian keyboard, I settled on the “US International” keyboard layout. It’s nearly the same as the UK layout, which is great if you’re a touch-typist, but uses the right-hand “Alt” key to get the accents. You can buy stickers to go on your keyboard to show where all the extra symbols etc are.

1 Like

Or use Ubuntu (Linux) with a UK keyboard layout and set the right Win key as your Compose key and then use key combinations to get different characters simply, easily and quickly like right Wina to produce á :wink: The Win key latches so the the other key presses after follow naturally without having to stretch your fingers awkwardly.

Is there a prize? Do threads time out?

2 Likes

Nah, just a bit of fun x :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I suspect folk need all the distraction possible… at the moment… so keep 'em coming…

If you have time to spare then use Windoze… after the nth time of re-installing it, you should get closer to getting it right :upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yet another time when using an iPad makes it so easy.

Or with one tap on the screen, complete with spellchecker in French.

1 Like

That’s what I have now. As you said, so much easier for accents. I never did get to grips with the French version despite many attempts. :keyboard:

Maybe this has already been mentioned; I didn’t read far back. This website works for me.

https://french.typeit.org/