UK bank account for expats

Hsbc in jersey …good for expats…accounts in euros…dollars…sterling

Finally, if you have any spare dosh and plan to invest it in ISAs etc, then do so before you leave as you cannot afterwards as almost all finance companies decline to accept new customers who are not resident in the UK.

Not necessarily the best advice. You should investigate further. Whilst free from tax in the UK, ISAs do not share the same concession for other than UK residents. Tax and cotisations on the Interest will be due in France.

There are many tax free products available in France and you should seek professional help about which to use to match your circumstances. And don't think you can hide these from the French Impots. You are legally required to detail ALL your Bank Accounts outside of France to the Impots on pain of a (IIRC) 35,000€ fine for each one not declared. The French Impots and HMRC share information so be warned.

The best advice I can give, to add to what has already been stated, is to go in to have a chat one of the Personal Advisors (not the counter clerks) at your local branch of your bank in the UK. My wife and I, who both hold current and deposit accounts at Barclays, did this and they were very helpful and made the necessary changes for us.

Also, do make sure that you've got this sorted before you leave the UK. It's much more difficult to open a UK based sterling account once you live in France and no longer have a UK address (although new EU legislation will make it mandatory for banks to allow the opening of a current account in any EU country where you have a clear demonstrable need - for example, in the UK to receive UK pension payments. I don't think that this has become law yet, but I could be wrong).

We banked with HSBC in the UK and when we moved here they opened an account with their (HSBC) French bank, in Angouleme. We do all our banking over the internet so have not found it necessary to visit the bank very often. Both banks send anything we need to us here in France.

We did, however, have one card registered at a UK address (my sons) with the bank's total agreement as we found that some UK traders will only accept a UK bank card if you have a UK postal code.

That's very useful, thank you. I've noted what you say. :)

Jennie

You already have the best advice which is to keep your UK bank, In fact never let it go and in passing keep all your UK credit cards.

I have 3 banks in the UK and they all send us cheque books, statements, replacement credit cards, etc, even when I do not want them so do not understand why your current bank will not do this. May I suggest you check with Head Office as in my experience counter clerks know very little about people living overseas.

If you haven't done so already make sure you have internet banking facilities on everything before you leave.

Finally, if you have any spare dosh and plan to invest it in ISAs etc, then do so before you leave as you cannot afterwards as almost all finance companies decline to accept new customers who are not resident in the UK.

If you do not have Sky, get it before you leave and bring the box with you. Do not tell them you have moved to France but set up an accommodation address with family.

Can't think of anything else at present and apologise if I am teaching granny & etc.

I try to work out the overall sum that moves. I don't find the charges particularly transparent or easy to compare.

I looked at TransferWise and Currencies Direct the other day for a transfer and they seem to use different systems.

We have a credit card with our UK bank-no problem. With french address. We had a credit card before we moved and have banked with the same bank for 40 years. Don't know if that made a difference.

I too use Transferwise. But last week someone told me that they had used FirstDirect to move a fairly hefty sum from the UK and were charged only about £4. Franky I didn't believe him. I know he only got 1.35, whereas on the same day I got 1.37 from Transferwise. Any thoughts anyone?

Nationwide simply changed our addresses to our French ones when we first moved. They send debit cards here, but I think a credit card account needs a UK address.

And you DEFINITELY want to keep a uk CREDIT card because for big purchases you have the credit card guarantee (section 75 etc) which you don't have here in France. Debit card is not the same thing.

Many people have had trouble keeping their UK account having moved (and it is still I think impossible to open one), so I'd be inclined to keep two open if you have them, just in case.

I have this week opened a Nat West account in Devon . There was no problem with us being French Resident.
The branch manager said he was not going tomtry and sell me a mortgage or any form of insurance !!!

Hello - there is a legal obligation for your bank to send your cards, cheque book, bank statements, if you receive paper ones to YOUR RESIDENTIAL address - so if that is a French address, that is where they MUST go. If you leave UK - and don't have any longer risidental address, they can't be sent there and you CANNOT PICK them up from anywhere. Your bank is misinforming you.

I have been with Natwest since 1971 moved here in 2010 and kept my existing Natwest account they send cards and any other information through to my French address never a problem

I use Transferwise and you're right about the rate.

Suggest you use Transferwise.com to move money from the UK. We have had an excellent service from them - all the banks are very expensive.

I also bank with Barclays in France it works well. I also use Barclays in the UK however, they don't seem to join the services up between France and the UK. Both countries offer £ and € accounts which can save on fees!

NatWest were quite happy to change my address to France when I moved here. Cards etc all come here with no probs. However, Nationwide did not want to - no idea why, so for the purposes of that account, I use my sister's address.

Thank you, that's useful to know.

It's also worth getting more than one UK based credit card while you remain UK resident, since no new card account can be opened once you leave the country. For instance, M & S or John Lewis will give you cards which can then be changed to a French address, but you're out of luck if you apply from France.