UK TV in France

Nick
If you download the “filmon” app to your tablet you can stream live tv straight across without the need for VPN

Hi Brian. Our satellite dish is directed towards whichever one carries Sky (pour le rugby!) so do you know if there are any freeto view that we can pick up - as in French channels?

Personally, although still using freesat I am streaming a lot of stuff from UK TV via tablet/hdmi to the telly. This is of course a day late but...

You need vpn for this of course, luckily an old pal back in uk lets me use his and with it I can also spoof my IP for any country so as to get access to shows around the world. As long as the broadband works this is pretty efficient

You are welcome. I don't know the first thing about any of this but I know an installer who does. This question reminded us to call him in to adjust our dish for HotBird slightly and then I grilled him and in seconds he called up a website with most of what is possible in Europe. Apart from anything else, if you (we do too) have a Freeview receiver, you are missing out on hundreds of other free channels, most not English language admittedly, but some I wouldn't mind having myself.

In the early days it was the job which Eric at the local Spar would attend to.

Eric Set us up...with soap, sorrow and documentry heaven but when he sent a collegue

to attend to another one we experienced failure.

Someone called Chris from near Bergerac came to the rescue within 20 mins and

with a new box we had a second dose of Phil Spencer , Kirsty Allsop and the

enterage of antique roadie shows.

For less than 150 euros I feel that it was a bargain.

He travels all over the place...adds on for

longer journeys.

Shirley, this is the BBC's info before the Olympics:

Satellite frequencies

BBC digital TV and radio – satellite frequencies

To receive digital TV via satellite but not through Freesat or Sky, you need to tune your equipment to the correct frequencies yourself. For help with tuning, please contact your equipment retailer, manufacturer or installer.

If you have lost any BBC channels and have a Freesat box, you may need to turn it off then on again to make it perform a retune. If that fails you may have to retune it. Please refer to your instruction manual.

Because of software limitations, BBC Red Button interactive channels are currently only available with Freesat or a Sky set-top box and viewing card.

During the Olympics 24 SD and 24 HD channels will be added to the Sky and Freesat platforms to allow you to watch sports from every venue from first thing in the morning until last thing at night.

The streams will be launched just before the Olympics in time to carry the very first events on 25 July 2012. Please visit this page for details of the satellite transponders that will be carrying these services. For more information about this and other events being brought to you by the BBC using our existing services, please visit this blog.

FEC = forward error correction
SID = service ID

DSAT 1

Astra 1N (28.2° East)
Transponder 45
Frequency: 10.77325 GHz
Horizontal polarisation
Modulation: DVB-S, QPSK
Symbol rate: 22.0 Mbaud
FEC 5/6
Transport Stream ID: 2045

Channel SID
BBC One England 6301
BBC Two England 6302
CBBC 6317
BBC Three 6319
Channel 5 6335
BBC One West (Bristol) 6341
BBC One East (W) (Cambridge) 6351
BBC One Channel Islands 6361

DSAT 2

Astra 1N (28.2° East)
Transponder 47
Frequency: 10.80275 GHz
Horizontal polarisation
FEC 5/6
Transport Stream ID: 2047

Channel SID
BBC News 6405
BBC Four 6416
CBeebies 6418
BBC One Scotland 6421
BBC Two Scotland 6422
BBC Radio 5 Live 6401
BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra 6464
BBC One North West (Manchester) 6441
BBC One Yorkshire (Leeds) 6451
BBC One South East (Tunbridge Wells) 6461

DSAT 4

Astra 1N (28.2° East)
Transponder 50
Frequency: 10.84700 GHz
Vertical polarisation
Modulation: DVB-S2, QPSK
Symbol rate: 23.0 Mbaud
FEC 8/9
Transport Stream ID: 2050

Channel SID
BBC HD 6940
BBC One HD 6941

DSAT 5

Astra 1N (28.2° East)
Transponder 46
Frequency: 10.78800 GHz
Vertical polarisation
FEC 5/6
Transport Stream ID: 2046

Channel SID
BBC One Wales 10311
BBC Two Wales 10312
BBC One West Midlands (Birmingham) 10301
BBC One Yorks & Lincs (Hull) 10303
BBC One East Midlands (Nottingham) 10305
BBC One East (E) 10306
BBC Parliament 10307

DSAT 6

Astra 1N (28.2° East)
Transponder 48
Frequency: 10.81750 GHz
Vertical polarisation
FEC 5/6
Transport Stream ID: 2048

Channel SID
BBC One Northern Ireland 10361
BBC Two Northern Ireland 10362
BBC One South (Southampton) 10353
BBC One South West (Plymouth) 10354
BBC One North East & Cumbria (Newcastle) 10355
BBC One Oxfordshire 10356
BBC Alba 10357

DSAT 7

Astra 2A (28.2° East)
Transponder 13
Frequency: 11.95350 GHz
Horizontal polarisation
Symbol rate: 27.5 Mbaud
FEC 2/3
Transport Stream ID: 2013

Channel SID
BBC Radio 1 6751
BBC Radio 1Xtra 6766
BBC Radio 2 6752
BBC Radio 3 6753
BBC Radio 4 FM 6754
BBC Radio 4 LW 6755
BBC 6 Music 6767
BBC Radio 4 Extra 6768
BBC Asian Network 6760
BBC World Service 6761
BBC Radio Scotland 6757
BBC Radio nan Gaidheal 6769
BBC Radio Wales 6758
BBC Radio Cymru 6763
BBc Radio Ulster 6759
BBC London 6770

Astra 2F is already up there and functioning, Astra 1N in the process of decommissioning since November 2011. The signal weakens beyond the UK 'central spot' and if they weakened it any more then people in the Northern Isles who are further away from where the best reception needs to be southeast of Birmingham, they would be less able to receive TV than people on most of France. Apart from that, lumping BBC and commercial channels together is not quite right. The latter are free enterprises and make all decisions independent of the BBC. Licence fees are for the state owned BBC and not the commercial channels who use advertising for revenue. There would be an enormous mess in the courts that the government and BBC would lose. There is no information that it substantive and each site the possibility appears on is the same text and possibly the same people putting it up. If BBC are going to restrict signals and cut the ability of commercial channels to broadcast where they wish, then an offical announcement should have been made quite some time ago. The European Broadcasting Commission has no announcement of that nature and for all changes they have to be informed several years in advance.

Used a company called Skydigi..... www.skydigi.tv they fixed out satelite dish and provided the sky dish and box...done and dusted in 40 minutes...brilliant service, our flat is in St Cyprien....even got a key fob with a coin for the supermarket trolly from them, which I am still using 3 years on!

http://tag-on-line.blogspot.fr/2012/08/losing-bbc-oh-no.html

might want to look at this

Hi Catherine - can you upload a profile photo please? Thanks!

I think that life is about enjoying what you enjoy;
There are some programmes which I love...

eg The great British bake off.

SOME amazing documentries....ON BRITISH T.V

Many of you watched the Olympics?

Yes but French TV is not much cop is it, Im bilingual but I still havent found much french tv worth watching. Some good films of course.

Imagine a life where one couldnt watch British comedy any more!

My advice to anyone that isnt completely bilingual would be not to have an English TV. There is no better way of learning the language than listening and watching french TV. i know this advice will be unpopular, and I`m sorry, but when we came to France I understood very little beyond Bonjour, Merci etc. Watching french TV assiduously and talking to my French neighbours was what cracked it for me. We have been here a long timenow and are both bi-lingual, but dont think I would have been if I`d had the english TV. Good luck in your new home x

yes i think we suffer from no signal at all in the big storms, u can track the storms progress as the picture slowly returns from nothing to full

I expect that all the components play a part, and that the better the decoder the better it will cope with a poor signal. In the same way, a stronger cleaner signal is better than weak and noisy.

Interesting that you say its the box not the dish that decides reception , for us it is for sure the dish, it's a big un but storms in charente can turn day to night. Our box is top notch but the dish just cant always see through the murk. The hardest bit of dish install is of course getting the thing lined up precisely, they easily move a mm or so as you get down off the ladder!

I have Free Sat with Skye so don't pay a penny. I have a great English contact (Skye in France) I can connect you with if you need a box and dish...I look after holiday homes and have used this company many times. I've just realised you posted your question in Feb so you're probably already sorted by now..

Freesat is very good really and you can use old Sky boxes from jumbles, often for a few euros, as boxes.They just dont get Sky anymore.

Biggest dish you can afford or want to look at, even so ours blacks out during really major storms. Get the best dish to box cable too, you wont want to ever do it again and the best has a kind of foam inner which makes it flexible enough to survive stresses

It is quite hard to have french tv and freesat as you need two dishes or one motorised one,but then you can always get french tv down the internet. The weather reports are particularly good although the level of detail seems excessive, except perhaps to farmers

Hi Shirley - no problem. Welcome to SFN by the way. As you say you are a newbie, here's the link to the guidelines set out by James and Catharine, http://www.survivefrance.com/profiles/blogs/argumentum-ad-hominem-sfn-guidelines. If it helps, try to think of SFN as a community. We are all here to help one another, and yes sometimes we get carried away. But sometimes, that can lead to friendships being formed too. Hope you are finding your way round SFN and finding lots of groups and discussions that interest you.

I think this discussion has a way to go, and as more people find it, more questions and answers will appear, and hopefully Gillian has found a solution for her requirements by now.

Regards

Sheila

....wonder what happened to Gillian? Gone back to the UK to catch upon a bit a Corrie...you know, that fictitious programme about back-biting Engländers!