ULEZ in London and a French vehicle reg

I thought we’d talked about ULEZ (whatever) previously… and finally found it…

That’s a slightly misleading thing to say.

You can log your non-UK vehicle with TFL & thus avoid being charged/fined. This is a fact because I’ve done it - I had to send a scan of my carte grise to prove that the car was what I claimed it was.

I can see that logging a non-UK hired vehicle with them would be trickier. They clearly can trace the registration or you would not have ended up being fined. There must be a way to get van details to them to prove that it didn’t need to pay for entering the ULEZ. Bon courage!

First, there has been absolutely no warning or publicity that I have seen regarding the need to pre-register. I moved to France 2 years ago and of course ULEZ was on my mind when I hired the van. I diligently checked and confirmed that the vehicle was compliant. In the UK drivers of compliant cars don’t need to register (though they do for the Congestion Charge - I normally drive an electric car and used to register that car for the Congestion Zone ‘discount’ to zero charge). Thousands of European drivers have been caught out by this laziness on the part of TfL. If they are able to trace me in France via the vehicle registration in order to demand money that they don’t deserve, why don’t they put the same effort into checking the specifications of the vehicle via the same method and not worry and waste the time of thousands of innocent motorists?

1 Like