Urgent help needed please!

And can I point out to whoever it was who posted 'sounds dodgy' - there are probably better ways of scamming people than asking for size 8 and a half shoes! What on earth do you think the guy is going to do with them? Start a niche market shoe shop?

I suggested Vicky join and post this when I saw the appeal on Facebook.

Vicky,

I'm sorry if you have the impression that some SFN members are an ungenerous lot, but suspicions will be aroused when it seems someone joins the sit with the sole aim of posting what appears to be a begging letter!

You are not known to most of us so we do not have James & Catharine's knowledge of your bona fides. Combine this by the amount of similar "worthy" causes we are constantly asked to contribute to - African minefield clearance springs to mind, brought to our attention outside Brico by a group of large black men armed with fake letters of authority - plus the fact that a little research shows that of all the web sites to which you contribute, this one is the only one to carry your appeal. Would that not look odd to you, too?

I'm sure that when you get to know us & we get to know you, you will find a much warmer reception to such requests.

Yes, I'm quite surprised myself Vicky, this is not the normal spirit of SFN. Box packed and will be posted tomorrow.

Thanks

James

I am actually shocked at some of your comments! This is the reason I have not normally taken part in such forums. What do you want me to do, go and take a picture of him house to prove he has nothing left!??

To those nice people I think we have enough donations for now, Thank you very much

Vicky ALL insurance companies will have an emergency helpline - his agency does not have to be open. If you are connected to the internet all you need to do is google his company and search for the number for him. If he is insured for fire (by now the fire brigade should have an idea of how the fire started) they will put in place emergency procedures for him including clothing allowances and places to stay. Good luck.

Mark, thank you for your comments!I can assure you this is very genuine, the gentleman is a good friend of mine. He was not home when the fire started, and arrived home late on Saturday to find his house in flames, as yet they do not know how it started. He is going to his insurance tomorrow, as they do not open on Saturday night or Sundays! Not everyone has a credit card either. Fortunately he has some nice friends who have offered him a place to stay.

Yes it was a bit of luck me joining the site the same day, I was personally invited to the site by the owners of the site after they saw my posts on Facebook.

I just hope that should you ever find yourself in the same situation you will find how nice and kind friends and strangers can be.

On another note to you kind people who have contacted me already, I have spoken to him and told him what you have offered, and he is taken back by how kind you all can be to a stranger!

I'm sorry that I'm too far away to help.

(I also think that anyone appealing for second-hand clothes and shoes for winter, whatever the reason given, must be is serious need)

Sorry about your friend. Suggest you take him to your local red cross. He will be able to get clothes and shoes for very little money this will help him and them.

I apologise if members think I am rude, but I am a bit skeptical of such pleas! This is not the first appeal of this kind to appear on an expat site, where "everything" has been destroyed - so the fire must have spread very quickly. Of course there is no way of knowing how this fire started or what kind of house it was.

Is not the first thing to do contact your insurance company? Then check in to a hotel & on Monday pop down to the shops with your credit card (unless that, too, was destroyed in the fire) & buy some clothes? But perhaps the fire spread to the car.

Bit of luck you coming across this site & joining it THE VERY DAY you need to help a friend. Can't find this appeal on any of the other sites of which you are a member.

I could not find any reference to a large house fire in Duras on the web, but prhaps that will appear tomorrow.

This is probably a genuine appeal but I've helped so many people in the past who are just clever con artists so I now remain unconvinced until I see corroborating evidence.

Now to sit back & read about how nasty I am!:)

Thanks James I will send you a message with my address

I will prepare a box full of stuff and send it to you, can you send me your address please?