Valedictories and Diplomas

When I was at school it was very much learning by rote and writing piles of essays. So I feel at home with the French educational system, my grumble being that they don't write enough essays to prepare them for the exams - my son took French in June for his bacc at the end of Première and he had been given exactly four essays to write over the year to prepare him for an exam where the essay counts for 16 out of 20!

At uni there was a ceremony for my degree with gowns etc and I also won a prize, however I didn't even know the prize existed until some weeks after my graduation when I received a letter with a cheque informing me I had won a prize, but not what for, so I had to ring them up and ask them what I had won and why

OMG I'm horrified at this post: the behaviour, the lack of caring, the lack of celebration of a milestone -tout.

When I left highschool in 1972 we had a prize-giving - cool even though I wasn't one of the gifted. Our school orchestra played, we sang the school song, we applauded - it was a great night out for proud families. Special contributions were recognised, not just academic achievements.

When I graduated in NZ with my degree only a few years ago things had gotten a bit more decontracte to my disappointment, but there were still the gowns, the capping process (a mystery up until I was tapped on the head) and it was announced there and then I was a finalist for the grand academic prize (Quelle surprise). I was in fact runner up but I was chuffed to be publically acknowledged and my ex-hubby and my daughter and my fellow students were rather chuffed too. It oils all sorts of relationships, it's warm, connecting and recognises that considerable effort goes into gaining qualifications and that they mean so much, not just marks. I certainly wasn't paid money just because I did what I was there to do- get educated and not to get a certificate. I'm an educated person and proud of it. france doesn't care how brilliant I am because I didn't go to the right schools.

I am so sorry for your experience with the bac. Your daughter needs to study in another country to see that there really is another way of doing things. Try a stage in NZ. Everything I hear about the French education system fills me with horror. It's been a bit of a week of it.

Hell, all so long ago I even got the name of the Oxbridge Entrance Examination wrong!

I had good grades, but still had to do the 'Common Entrance Examination' David. The headmaster always listed some of us for that each year, we called it the 'line up'. We all got in - four to the left and four to the right as the school put it. Cambridge and Oxford respectively. But still nothing ceremonial or as much as a note of congratulation to any of the eight of us.

Bloody apparatus and my wonky shoulder are not compatible.

Yes it was O and A level results in the post in '63. As for grades the less said the better- they didn't seem to matter much in them days which was wonderful for me. I had "played" far too hard had realised I hadn't done enough work on history so I commissioned an Oxbridge scholar to write me 15 essays which I learned by heart and I passed! I had been too busy running the school betting syndicate! In fact very few of my friends, most of whom had "benefitted" from private education, went to university in those days but many went to learn through articles or through work experience. Most of them did very well and made lots of money. I just wish that there was as much pride in being an artisan, or properly qualified time served tradesman, in the UK as there is in France. Meanwhile-Brian- it really is a most remarkably small world. Apart from having lived in the same street in London we are now being tested for the same thing! Off to the quack now in fact! Pip! Pip!

So long ago that I had forgotten, but you are right Louise. In fact, left school in 1966 and last year (50 anniversary of us joining) went back for the first time... So you are VERY right on reflection.

Well I didn't have any ceremony for 'A' level results, they just came in the post

Well moaned, Claire. It seems that I was lucky to have what we were granted, then, rudimentary though it was. You could well be right about the boredom factor. The teachers present looked singularly disinterested. It didn't inspire you with confidence.

We didn't even get the opportunity to see the children receive their Bacs. All that was required was that the children go to the Lyceé on certain dates to collect their papers, no presentation! Apart from all that, my son is not interested in his certificate, all he wants is to know what the results were for each subject. I like you were expecting something more grand, but alas nothing.

As far as the constant background babble, at any meeting, my theory is that if something that can be done in 10 minutes it takes at least 30 mins, therefore everyone gets bored. This often includes the teachers, who during the conseil des classes, when it is not their subject, catch up on any gossip with their colleges - I wish I had the nerve to ask them to be quiet, which in the same circumstances I am sure (or hope) they would expect the students to do.

There, have had my moan.

Ow, I am being observed at present to see if I have apnoea. Doesn't bode well then, does it?

Prithee, Brian, I am exceeding gratified that you should have read my latest meanderings with such rapidity. I wish you luck in your role. Just don't do what I did at the first parent-teachers' meeting of the year and fall asleep while the principal (admittingly a very uninspiring woman) was delivering her address. What's more, I dribbled! Tilley did, however, earn a little perverse reverse kudos the next day in class when two boys told her that they had witnessed my fall from grace. Apparently, it was funny enough to be cool.

Love it Mark and will note it as a warning or preparation depending on context/place/etc. As it is, my nine year old looked heavenward when it transpired (and I suddenly perspired) I was getting the parents meet class teacher duty this year. She knows her mother and I are furious about just how little of the national or school's own version of the curriculum is being delivered and that the class teacher has already made that known. My OH can be cutting, I tend to simply use age and academic seniority as unfairly as possible to kick back.

Maybe, perhaps and all that, I should learn from you. They say it is never too late. Just try to keep my big mouth shut when I speak and stay away when the warning smoke signals have been sent out.