Vegetarians and vegans...where can they enjoy great restaurant meals?

Hi Barbara It has definitely become easier. When I wsa student in 96 in Bordeaux everytime I asked for a veggie salad it would come garnished with lardons and when I pointed out that was meat I would receive the reply (bah non, c'est que du lard...). Admittedly when I moved here permanently 7 years ago I started eating fish again largely to relieve the panic of my in-laws whenever they invited me to dinner. Here in Paris there are a couple of lovely veggie and vega n restos - my favourite is le potager du marais in rue rambuteau where you always have to book to get a table. The food is delicious. Certainly though in lots of restos there is no veggie option and it is frowned upon to ask for changes. I often find myself eating a plate of overcooked vegetables and paying the same price as my husband pays for a steak. It's improving though. There are more veggie choices in the supermarket and of course if you head to Chinese, Lebanese and Indian restaurants you have great veggie options. I do agree though that proper chefs avoid veggie cuisine and that restaurants are very unwilling to make any alterations to their dishes - sometimes you can't even ask for alternative side dishes without a snooty glare!

Anyone in the 10th or 19th in Paris can safely ask for veggie options at Cafe des Dames on colonel fabien and if you get any snooty glares say you're friends with Yvette - I'm the bosses' wife!!

by the way I know that vegie cooking can be good.

I had one of the first vegie restaurants in London and took the experience as

a huge challeng....AND loved it.