Vice Caché

quite understand… best of luck

Not really, because you can specify that the “garantie vice caché” does not apply, is it is sold “as seen”. I wish I had done this when I sold my last vehicle as the buyer is now trying the “vice caché” scam on me.

I know this is ancient history, but I’m in a similar situation. When you say Mechanic’s report, do you mean an official report from an “expert automobile” ? My buyer keeps harassing me but has yet to produce such a report, so I am calling his bluff.

“Nice family” or not, I think you may have been scammed.

I believe you can, but how many buyers would actually buy a vehicle on those terms? I do not think I would. I would think, this seller must suspect a problem because if they were confident that the car is sound, why would they insist on this. I would have thought most buyers would want the peace of mind of knowing they have all the protection that the law considers they should have. I guess a significant price reduction might be needed to tempt somebody.

I thought the point about vice caché was that you are only protected if the seller knew of the defect.

Which might be difficult to prove.

1 Like

… and failed to disclose it (perhaps) in circumstances where it should have been disclosed (such as the buyer asks specifically)?

I am not a mechanic but I believe there are some fairly well known tricks to temporarily hide developing issues rather than fix them. Anecdotally for instance if you have a worn out gearbox you put sawdust in it and it stops the rattles. I think if you buy a car and find sawdust in the gearbox it is reasonable to assume that the seller put it there to hide a problem.

1 Like

Well yes, that would be suspicious :rofl:

Personally, I’d slightly overfill it with oil which is a bit more viscous than specification.

And not tell the buyer? Naughty boy.

It was a report from the garage with photographs but not an independent “expert automobile”

There you go …only the report of an “expert” - the guys who also do assessments for insurance companies - has any legal value and even that can be contested.

If there was a real suspicion of “vice caché” your buyer’s insurance would have paid for an expert.

I rather think that you were had.

@Stella - interesting point - I’d be interested to know what is classified as a ‘voiture de collection’, if there’s a clear definition.

Catching up and reading this thread, it does seem quite incredible that there’s a 2 year period of protection, especially when you see some of the ‘jalopies’ on the road :thinking:

Vous pouvez demander une carte grise véhicule de collection uniquement si vous possédez ou achetez un véhicule de plus de 30 ans, qui n’est plus produit et dont les caractéristiques techniques n’ont pas été modifiées.

If the vehicule is more than 30 years old, it is no longer produced and it has not been technically modified…

1 Like