Visiting France: Check Out If Your Dog Is Subject To French Regulations

I'm very glad to hear that dog owners are required to observe regulations that are designed to protect the non-dog owning majority - but I fear there's little chance of them complying. Dog owners seem always to believe that the rules should only apply to other dogs, not their own dog. So they ignore notices prohibiting dogs from beaches and other public places. They fail to clean up after their dogs, and allow their dogs to roam streets and public places unattended, then blame everyone else if their dog gets into a fight with another, or bites a child, or is hit by a passing car.

Wouldn't it be nice if dog owners would all agree that they should attend training classes with their dogs, that dog ownership should be dependent on a licence gained by passing such a course and that any breach of the rules, such as persistent fouling, noise, aggressive behaviour, flouting of restrictions regarding public places, etc., could result in loss of licence, a heavy fine, and disqualification from ownership?

All that's required is that owners should understand their dog is no different from any other dog, and that they bear the responsibility for its behaviour, its safety, and the safety of other people who use public places.

I was just about to say that most accident is not from big dogs but small dogs in the UK. They was razor shark teeth…

On a different note I wished the French would look after their dogs better ie that they are not running around with or without a collar on and often on busy roads! That the French would learn to clean up after their dogs! I have heard some good excuses like they pay their taxes, so no need to clean up! If you choose to have a dog, it should be your responsibility…and there’s the health hazard too! It drives me nuts the amount of fog poo around…grrr… :frowning:

The is a huge Rotti that sits at the owners front door in the square in my village. Gentle giant, no muzzle or collar. Seems it is only applicable to Brits dogs. Lol!

Superb Theo and vital information for visitors who may not be aware of the regulations. When I did the category 1 training course the instructor told me that in fact the most frequent bites needing hospital attention are caused by labradors. As you say, it's the larger dogs which purely because of jaw size do the most damage and labradors also are the most common breed in France, hence the larger number of incidents.