Voitures sans permis.. ...did you know this about them?

mmmmm… no use coming to France thinking there will be any sort of “French equivalent” to anything that goes on in UK… :upside_down_face::crazy_face:

There is no mention in my Code Rousseau de la route (2003) … but I’ve made a note to check with the Gendarmes if I get a chance… maybe a new legal twitch has come in to deal with SP’s… :upside_down_face::thinking:

2 Likes

Well you could always try out your theory and overtake one of the drunk cars when the flics are approaching or following you. I am sure they will inform you if it is allowed or not. Most of the drunk car drivers i know either drive more or less on the breakdown lane or move over as far as possible so as not to cause a traffic jam. A friends daughter in germany has one, she thinks its great. Here were i live, there are some very basic examples and also some very pimped up examples. Lawn tractor on steroids.

https://www.legipermis.com/infractions/chevauchement-franchissement-ligne-continue.html

Well done Paul Brown and welcome to the Forum.
as your link shows:

It is clearly stated - wheels must not touch the solid white line, nor cross the solid white line - no matter if there is a slow moving vehicle or tractor or whatever. (just be patient everyone)

Only in a Town, with a two-way road limited to 50km, is touching the white line acceptable, while overtaking a cyclist - and then, only if the view is clear. Crossing the white line is NOT acceptable though.

phew - wait 'til I enlighten OH - the air will be blue when we next find ourselves behind a slow-moving tractor or whatever… :thinking:

Pity the 2 drivers didnt know this on the N79, between Digoin and the turn off for Nevers (Magny Cours) last Friday, one overtook a motorhomw on the right and then proceeded to overtake another vehicle in front to the left over 2 solid whitelines with a wide yellow stripe in the middle, and the 2nd one just overtook the 2 cars on the left. No wonder the road is only 80 kliks speed limit and has such a bad reputation. (Mainly caused by the max speed limit and some of the numbnuts using it)

They obviously do not read our Forum :smile::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Reviving this thread to relate my experience yesterday. Driving to the nearest town (15 kms) the road I take is winding, narrow and hilly and I spotted a SP up ahead going at quite a lick, for them. I thought it might be Jean-Claude an old petanque friend of mine and, as he had once given me a lift over this very road when we teamed up for a doubles competition, I resolved to be wary. On that occasion it was definitely a white knuckle ride, no stops at STOPS, not even looks but I eventually came through unscathed.

Anyway he braked hard for an oncoming vehicle and then at the approach of a 2nd he pulled right onto the grass at the side and stopped. The oncomer having passed and with him still there I assumed he had reached his destination and pulled out to overtake him, at which point he suddenly rejoined the road and I had to brake sharply. A short while later at the entrance to a hamlet he again pulled over and stopped, more room this time I again attempted the overtake and as I did so saw that it was indeed J-C and this time he was allowing me to pass.

They are limited I think to 60 km/hr and he kept up with me fairly well after that but there was one curious thing. He was driving on sidelights but when he indicated one way or the other the sidelight on that side did not work till the indicator had stopped. He always had a new car every year so did not think it was a banger not properly maintained.

Years ago I bought a Piaggio Ape 3 wheeled van which, classed as a scooter, did not need registration. But it did need insurance (not sure about a licence because we both had one anyway) and it was very expensive, equal to the full cover on the car. In 2009 the law changed and registration was required but by that time we had stopped using it.

J-C was fond of a drink and one day, on a similar road, friends of mine found him in a shallow ditch, 3 wheels down and one in the air. He was just sitting there totally unconcerned. they pushed him out and sent him on his way but when he got to his own turning he stopped and indicated that he was inviting them back to his house for a thank you drink. They declined politely.

A lifelong bachelor he took a fancy to an Englishwoman we knew and asked her out to dinner. He arrived on time and walked into her house carrying a cake, shutting the door behind him, Before she realised what was happening he had taken her into his arms for a kiss at the same time pressing one hand to her breast. She wasted no time showing him the door. This did not seem to be an assault in the normal way we would understand, more the clumsy move of a lonely man unaccustomed to the right way of going about things. There was no force involved, indeed she was very slightly built and not strong, and he went willingly, apparently in confusion. A strange character.

3 Likes

The lights will be LED and the white sidelight will go out and the orange indicator flashes and once cancelled the sidelight comes back on, it’s so you can see the indicator properly.

It did look as if it was supposed to happen, but I haven’t seen such a thing before.

As @Griffin36 says, it is pretty much universal on cars with LED lighting.

Some of which seem to have been designed by people who have decided that the ideal indicator is a single orange LED somewhere in the cluster (OK, I exaggerate, but not by much). Tesla seems particularly prone to microscopic turn signals but they are not the only culprit.

I have no problem with how bright it was, I could see it quite clearly in the mirror.

They have aspirations of beating BMW but just simply can’t match them. :wink:

I think it was the Japanese who first put much bigger lighting and turn signals on cars. Especially the rear. Then our local manufacturers seemed to eventually after that.

Never really looked at Teslas from the point of view of lighting - surprised to hear there would be any visibility problem when Tesla’s been so far ahead of the game in other ways. Though Twitter does not seem to fit?

See for yourself

In brightish sunlight they are all but invisible.

I mean, I know people joke about BMW drivers and indicators but at least BMW fit ones which can be seen if the driver remembers to use them.

2 Likes

Audi don’t even do indicator lights.
Apparently :wink:

3 Likes

It seems that they are optional according to the driving schools too.

Just yesterday I followed a driving school car, clearly on a lesson. It arrived at a junction where you had to indicate one way or another & there was not a sign of any flashing amber at any point.

I suspect that the student was being told to keep a hand free for texting :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Talking of indicators, the norm in my area upon arriving at a roundabout is to never indicate left and just indicate right immediately after having passed the exit before the one you’re taking. I’ve got on board with this, although 25 years of UK driving has conditioned me to occasionally indicate left if I’m going round the runabout.

However increasingly (esp in Bordeaux) I see people who are going straight over a roundabout first indicating left, then after they pass the first exit indicating right. This seems more confusing to me than the “never indicate left” approach.

There is, as one would expect, an official approach to this and these French rules seem very sensible to me. There’s a useful summary diagram halfway down this page:

1 Like

Yes, I agree that’s sensible - dare I say, it’s better than the British method whereby you don’t indicate if just going straight over. It just doesn’t, unfortunately, get applied like that here in the Medoc.

They don’t signal full stop here, you have to guess where they are going and hence all the bashed up vehicles. Saw a Peugeot van with garden chairs in the back and people sitting on them the other year, police never stopped them but stopped us in a brand new car and said the tyres were worn but once threatened with legal action as the car was only three weeks old, they dropped it and we went on our way.