Voitures sans permis.. ...did you know this about them?

? I’ve been driving a Fr registered car with a UK licence for over 20 years.

1 Like

But while a French resident? It is the residency which is the issue, not the origin of the permis.

Yes I’m a Fr resident and also a Fr national.

As have I.

I don’t think nationality comes into it, if I didn’t have to change my UK licence for a French one because of the PL (HGV) entitlement I could have driven for years once I became resident, on my UK one…

If I hadn’t had any speeding fines that is, :wink:

Yes you could have.

Yeah, see my later comment.

1 Like

Technically he can drive but he needs some sort of evidence that he is getting a new license. Basically if he is pulled over what do you think will happen? As this is the main risk, he does have a valid license but he also have the legal obligation to be able to prove his situation no matter when he is asked to do so (by an insurance company or law enforcement). So in theory yes but I would make sure I have the necessary supporting evidence when driving that’s all.

Beware of saying things like that publicly. Legally speaking the UK license is valid in France pretty much forever BUT the law is clear about that situation, if you are a permanent resident in France you should have your license converted, same would happen with me if I go to Spain and become a Spanish permanent resident for example. As we know it’s legal to drive in France with a UK license no one will bother you but if you’re saying out loud that you’ve been “cheating” for years it may be best not to do so in public as you’re leaving evidence out there :wink:

Just for the record, here is the extract from the law:
L’échange de votre permis britannique délivré avant 2021 contre un permis français est obligatoire uniquement dans les cas suivants :

• Votre permis n’est plus valide => At some point over the course of 20 years your UK license expired and should have been converted for a French one
  • Vous demandez une nouvelle catégorie du permis (extension)
  • Vous commettez en France une infraction au code de la route entraînant une perte de points, une restriction, une suspension, ou une annulation de votre permis
  • Votre permis a été volé
  • Vous avez perdu votre permis
  • Votre permis est détérioré
1 Like

I’d have exchanged my UK licence for a French one years back if I could have. My understnding is that I’m still not allowed to exchange it until 6 months before expiry and that Nantes will refuse my application except for the categories above kindly listed by Fabien.

Mais mon permis est totalement valide! J’ai un permis papier délivré avant 1998, je n’ai jamais eu de permis format carte plastique.

1 Like

Fantastic, as long as that license is in “okay ish” conditions you are right to think you’re good to go :+1:

Surely there’s no ok-ish, it’s either legal or not.

Actually some things are “alegal” in France which means they are neither legal nor illegal (like owning a vehicle in France when you are not a French permanent resident). In regard to the license I am referring to the condition of the license itself as per the official requirement which says that you should change your license if: “Votre permis est détérioré”… So, as long as the driver license is in okish condition (not deteriorated) then you are in the green :+1:

2 Likes

Not concerned myself, but for clarity of others on the forum.
You seem to be squirming out of the initial question. So if the driver’s license is readable and conforms so legal, where is the ‘ish’ about it.

This will be my final answer as we’re digressing, indeed, but it is not a formal situation. If there is a tear on the license, for example, even if it’s readable, law enforcement can consider that the license is not in ‘good condition’ and therefore, it should be exchanged. This is not something that we can answer ‘for sure,’ so I’m sorry, but I have to insist that this is a situation that calls for an ‘ish.’ However, if the license is readable and doesn’t show wear, then probably yes, it’s okay, but I cannot say for sure, hence the ‘ish’ :wink:

3 Likes

It is in perfect condition.

My mother’s favorite quote! But she included family in the definition of guests :joy:

I can back this up from my local gendarme. I got pulled over and produced my, same as @vero paper licence. The young one nearly had a conniption and called Vincent, the older, over and he confirmed it was allowed. He did however tell me to change it as it is held together by yellow, crackling sticky tape :rofl: quite readable but definitely ‘ish’!!!

3 Likes