Votes for expats

But surely that’s how many people vote. As a pensioner in the UK I am likely to be concerned about my pension. As a young mum with kids in the UK I am likely to be concerned about child allowance (does that still exists?) and the state of schooling and not give a stuff about pensions.

1 Like

Surely how your friends & relatives are treated by the government of a country of which you are a subject/citizen is enough reason to vote? In a way voting in the brexit referendum was more selfish for those of us living in Europe as it was going to/has deprived us of our EU citizen’s rights.
The other tack of “no taxation without representaton” is an equally strong reason to exercise your right to vote in the UK. That statement includes the taxes you paid historically in expectation of a UK pension.
For those with their healthcare covered by an S1 the behaviour of a UK government is especailly pertinent.

2 Likes

On another subject, which is Boris’s constituency?:slight_smile:

@SuePJ , @Badger

Of course it’s true that every voter has their own priorities - but these are likely to cover a wider range of policies if you actually live in the country.

There are, of course, arguments both for and against voting in a country you no longer live in, but have some links with - but personally I think the balance of the argument is against voting there.

The ‘no taxation without representation’ view though is one I reject. It was coined in the American revolution and always referred to votes for property-owning white men - there was never a question of. say, slaves, or women voting. And the question today is what does it mean? - Everybody that even visits a country pays taxes, because a lot of most countries’ tax is on purchases, not incomes; or does it mean no vote unless you pay income tax? Or a ‘poll tax’ you can only avoid by not registering to vote?
I think any linking of the right to vote to paying tax is a danger to democracy.

1 Like

Quite. Just as the historical suffrage universel that French schoolchildren learn about and are expected to ooh and aah over how marvellous and progressive etc concerns only men.

1 Like

Just because the phrase was inappropriately coined in the past does not make it meaningless. I feel very strongly that people should vote, and if you don’t feel sufficiently well informed to do so then give your vote to someone who does. There are many disenfranchised people in the UK, and will be many more now this Bill has passed. The new requirements will be likely to have negative influence on poor people.

I imagine there is an equivalent of alter-votant in the UK.

I agree with that totally & it is not my interpretation of the phrase I quoted. I take it to mean that a government should not have the right to take your direct taxes unless you (the tax payer or invested party) has a say in how that government got into power.

1 Like

Uxbridge and South Ruislip

Cheers. Funnily enough that area is our old stamping ground (geninely!)

1 Like

We have never had a request from Stroud constituency that we still exist.

I haven’t either, had any request from the old constiuancy .

Our old council (Mendip District) used to send out paper forms when we were due to reaffirm our place on the electoral roll, but we were able to reapply online. There was no system to confirm it was actually us doing so. We only lost our vote in 2021 - hurrah that it’s back!

Morning all

We have been here six years now, and every year we get an e-mail from Erewash BC renewing our vote.

Very professional, very impressed

Andy

Unusual for Erewash normally not the best