Weeds in Lawns

They don’t like up ‘em !

I think that the use of chemicals in a responsible way according to the manufacturer’s instructions is fine, and that someone who goes to the time , trouble, and expense of importing such items is likely to both read, and indeed follow, the instructions if for no other reason than that of economy.
Perhaps it is the case that the ban on sale, rather than on use, is somewhat of an indictment against the usage habits by the average citizen of a particular country.
I have noticed that it now seems impossible to buy ‘Roseclear’ here, and that there is no replacement product for the control of ‘Rust’, so I have it delivered from Belgium where they obviously love their roses more than the French do. :slight_smile:
By the way; Yes, I am being cheeky with that last remark.

there are many Communes where the “use” is banned… :wink:

I find that statement both arrogant and offensive. You obviously have no respect for rules and laws that do not suit you.

1 Like

Not at all Sir. I am happy to abide by what the law says. If the law prevents purchase in a particular place then I will make my purchase elsewhere. If the law prevents usage, then I will abide by the ruling. It is down to lawmakers to decide what it is that they actually wish to prevent, and not my place to second guess them.
Additionally, I regret that you find my different opinion on the matter offensive, although I am at somewhat at a loss as to why you should take offense simply because someone holds a different opinion to your own.

1 Like

This year I have given over about 10% of my very small suburban lawn to “wilding” I am hoping to encourage more wild flowers and even more insects, bees and Butterflies.
I have been encouraged in this by the commune doing the same in park areas.
We have now disappeared for a few weeks and it will be interesting to see how the “experiment “ hold up.
I understand the trick is to leave the area to go wild and then cut in the Autumn.
Anyone have tips?

3 Likes

This is what I use, available from Pont Vert

“engrais-désherbant gazon”

Very expensive though I paid just short of €40.

Seems like I really open a hornet’s nest (pun not intended) about weeds in lawns, and i’m impressed with the amount of interest as its the first time I’ve posted a an item.
returning to the lawn issue it would seem most people are understandably happy to have them as i would be in a rural environment but in a town garden it is a little different so I suppose it’s down on hands and knees to at least initially get rid of the nasty creeping ones in the absence of anything more effective .

1 Like

This is what we’ve done in the lower half of our garden. It is now full of butterflies, grasshoppers/locusts of all shapes and sizes, and allows even larger animals a haven (hares, and even deer) to lay down and hide in. We don’t regret it, and I’ve made quite the saving on petrol :wink: Some of the butterflies that are around this year stem from the emergence of one or two particular types of plant that have grown, which they feed on. That for me, is indication enough, that we are kind of doing something right.

4 Likes

I was in my local garden / animal store today and noticed there was quite a selection of weedkillers for various uses, I was lining up and in a hurry so didn’t stop to look closely but looks like you can certainly still legally get some sort of weedkiller to perhaps help you initially get on top of it.

Got home at lunchtime today and there was a sweet little roe doe with her fawn in the garden :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

For the past fortnight, we have had a young buck saunter through the garden, right in front of the house, staring us right in the eye, before strolling off to pastures even greener.

2 Likes

Roseclear was banned because of an increased understanding of the danger it posed to animals eyes, including small garden mammals. Your choice.

For rust we make a purin of equisetum and fern - stuff a bucket full of leaves of either or both, fill with water, stick a lid on it (it stinks) and leave a couple of weeks. Then strain the stinky liquid and use it diluted in a spray bottle. It works, costs nothing and doesn’t harm anyone or anything.

3 Likes

Hi John, you already have lots of replies so I will try to be brief. I am a professional gardener and have kept all manor of lawns, sports pitches and fine turf, with the whole range of equipment, ferts, pesticides etc.
Lawns are a monocrop, which is always a disaster for wildlife. We have been conditioned to think of wildflowers as weeds, and depend on expensive regimes to keep our lawns and gardens totally weed free, just like the square miles of wheat, barley, etc. of large-scale farming.
My own lawn/s are allowed to exist as they are -full of wild flowers. These are a haven for pollinating insects (which are in decline), and in turn for birds which feed on them.
Dandelions are one of the most important early sources of nectar and pollen for wild bees, and daisies do a great job later too. I actually sow white clovers into lawns, which fix nitrogen without the need to feed artificially, and again the nectar is valuable for bees.
All that said, I am not here to lecture, and if you still wish to eradicate ‘the weeds’, Grazon was still available here last time I looked.
Happy gardening!

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to reply thoughtfully rather than post a one sentence reply which added little to what has become a debate about ecology. I dont want eliminate all wild flowers but just stop my lawn being taken over by unattractive creeping stuff. Once that is done then it can be managed to allow other types of growth friendly to insects. What is Grazon…a brand name.?

Personally I like my lawn to be grass and nothing but.
If we had room for a meadow then yes to wild flowers but we only have 430m2 of lawn in the garden ( I know that because I laid that many metres of turf).
To keep the dandelions and thistles away I use (following a recommendation)
https://www.fiskars.com/en-gb/gardening/products/weeding-tools/xact-weed-puller-1020126

With a desk-bound job any bit of exercise is handy.

1 Like

We have given up - just call it a French lawn and live with it!

2 Likes

On reflection, those of you who like to have that pristine lawn which will impress the neighbours, I feel you are being too modest in your aspirations. The gardeners round here who really win the glances of admiration and much discussion over the fence are those who have converted their front gardens into absolutely immaculate potagers. Never a weed in sight and as for the rows of onions, tomatoes, french beans, squashes and artichokes in the far corners, roses lining the path to the front door - now that really will win you accolades.

2 Likes

Agreed, but here the potager is the domain of the Queen of the House.
You can be sure there would be executions if me and the little Prince used the potager for wrestling, football, touch-touche, wooden sword-fighting and toy soldiers etc hence the need for a soft carpet of lawn to roll about on.

At the same time, yes I am a little bit towards the obsessive end on the lawn as well, but, I’m cutting down a lot on washing and polishing the car !! The therapy continues.

1 Like